Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

First c section nerves

I am scheduled in for a c section next Wed and I am soooo nervous!

I hate hospitals and really haven't been given any info on what to expect to happen.

What happens on the day? What is the epidural like? Can you feel anything while it's being done? What does it feel like after? And how soon can I see my baby? (it will be going to scbu initially as I will only be 34 weeks).

Thanks for the advice. Xxx

Replies

• Options
    i had a c-section at 33weeks +6 as i was expecting identical twins they are now 18 days old....i can honestly say i would love to experience it all over again image... i felt the same had no idea what to expect and knew my girs would be taken to scbu!!! anyway gracie was born weighing 3lb 12oz i was shown her and she was taken because she needed a little help breathing.. olivia was the smaller one 3lb 6oz and had cuddles with my partner whilst i was stitched up then taken to scbu!! both had help beathing for 8 hours each i think just as a precaution!! they spent 14 days in scbu and are now home image doing so well still only weighing 3lb 15 and 3lb 10...
    i agree with cutie82 i was sore for a few days walking like a granny :lol: and really couldnt see past the pain but it really does get better !!!
    sorry for the long post hope thi helps any questions fire away
    xxxx
  • Options
    hi ds was born by em c section so not the same situation but i can answer a couple of ur questions...

What is the epidural like?...i had a spinal block, which prior to this i had been dead against epidurals etc but in all honesty as i was in labour when the spinal went in i changed my mind completely, it felt like i was being put in a bath and gradually went all warm lol...the anaesthetist asked me to lift my leg, and obviously i cldn't so we knew it had worked and i was comepletely numb from waist
    Can you feel anything while it's being done? i cld feel something, but nothing at the same time, it was a lot like when u ahve a dead leg if u've been sat funny and then if u prod it, u know u've prodded it but can't feel it if that makes sense? but ur not sure what they're doing, tbh i didn't even know if and when they were inside and i don't recall knowing when ds was lifted out, he first i knew was his cry.

What does it feel like after? my section was at 1am, the spinal wore off within an hour of coming out of theatre but was kept on strong painkillers (inc morphine)...by 8pm (so same day, 19hours to be exact lol) that night they got me up and out of bed and got me to walk to and from ds crib and the bed, and showed me how to get out of bed myself....which made bf ds a whole lot easier as i cld get out of bed, lift him and sit in the bedside chair to feed him...the next day they had me walking to and from the loo and removed my catheter and showered, and by 3pm that afternoon i was mobile enough to transfer to the birthcentre for the rest of the time..tbh i'm glad i was as mobile as i cld be, meant iw as ble to feel like i cld look after him rather than need someone to pass him to me for feeding or nappy change, plus as i say it meant i cld get out out of that hospital and go to the birthcentre where OH was allowed to stay 24/7 .... i do have to say tho, the first few times u stand up ur lower tummy does feel extremely heavy and i cldn't walk(hobble)/stand without holding onto it for a few days... make sure u have a pillow with u for the car journey home to go between ur belly and the seatbelt, and it'll help cushion against any bumps in the road, also if u need to laugh or cough, firmly place a puillow over ur tum to help. also when u start wearing ur knickers/trousers place a sanitary pad at the top (so ebtween ur knickers and ur scar) to help stop anyrubbing and to keep ur wound dry....hth xxx
  • Options
    hi hun, I have had two, 1st em n 2nd elective, I spoke to con a week before c section, spoke about what would happen during the c section; you will have spinal block with can make you jump and hurts a little but the nurse was great with me with 1st and 2nd, supported me though it, they put up the screen and you can feel a lot of tugging about 10/20 mins baby is born and then you see baby, clean baby up, have a cuddle if you want as you can't feel your body from breasts and below and I did not feel confident to hug them for to long, they will stitch you up and move you to recover room, have some toast and tea as you can't eat 12 hours before section so you might be sick so they might give you injection so you can eat.

you won't feel your legs for a while but you can move them from side to side stay in bed till next day maybe longer and then 3 to 7 days depending on your recovery x x
  • Options
    Hi
    I had an emergency with ds (42wks) and planned with dd (39wks).

both times had epidural, with planned though i actually knew what was going on. you are sat on a bench while they enter the needle, it is a little bit sharp as it goes in and you cant move but almost as soon as it goes in you cant actually do anything from chest down,( it feels kind of weird cos you brain tells your legs to move, but they dont do it)

you can feel things happening, but it doesnt hurt, you cant see any of this as there is usually a sheet up.

I didnt see my son straight away as they had to work on him a bit as he had swallowed a lot of gunk, but as soon as he was ok I was shown him, but then he was whisked of to scbu. ( my hubby went to see him after I was stiched up and taken to recovery, he took some photos etc) I got to actually see and hold him about 12 hrs later, but that was because I had a difficult time in labour b4 the section. It is a little scary first seeing your little one in the incubator but the initial shock does wear off. You are shown how to hold so as not to upset any equipment etc, and I was allowed unlimited access to see him, I was activley encourage to use to use the breast pump on the ward as he was on a feeding tube, but they did give him some formula too.

With my daughter as soon as she was out and wrapped up she was passed to my hubby to hold as I couldnt, due to the drip etc.

I was up and about the day after with both, and able to shuffle along to the loo. In fact I was discharged within 24hrs with my daughter ( I was in for a week with son).

It does feel a little sore for a couple of weeks, and you do have to remember not to do to much, (I was told off by a MW for pushing my grandmothers wheelchair a couple of days after having my son).

only other thing to say is take plenty to occupy you while waiting on the ward to go down, i was in for 8.30am as told by the hospital, but didnt go to theatre until 2pm.

oooh and v big knickers to cover your scar.

good luck xx
  • Options
    Hope yours went well, im having a c-section in 14 weeks, and im so nervous thinking about it already image

24Weeks 2Daysx