Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Is this true?

Hi All

I am hoping I will be able to have a natural labour / birth but obviously I am trying to think and prepare for all scenarios etc. and one of those might be a c-section.

My brother saw his wife have 2 c-sections (1 emergency and the 2nd one planned / elective) and said that they don't cut your tummy open (as I assumed they would) but they rip it open! Is this true? I know my brother wouldn't intentionally tell me to scare me, I think he thought I would know this! But its quite scary to think this is true!

He said it is because you heal better afterwards. Is he right? Or is he being a monsterous big brother???!!!

Julie xxx
26w today!

Replies

• Options
    hi Joo!

well, it doesn't quite work like that.....!!

the skin is cut with a blade, and scored through the fatty layer. when they get to your muscle layer, scissors are used to "snip" the connecting tissue, and the yes, the muscles are pulled apart - this is probably what your brother remembers!

some women report feeling the "sensation" - it isnt painful at all, but your body does move, so you tend to feel something - if you know what i mean!

when the uterus (also cut first, then "pulled") is open, you may also report feeling something, as the other dr pushes at the top of your tummy to get the baby out.- some women report the sensation as having the washing up done in your tummy!

dont worry about it tho' - firstly, hopefully you wont need one, but secondly, caesarian sections have been around for centuries, and the doc's know what they are doing!!

enjoy the rest of your pregnancy - and dont let your brother frighten you anymore!!!!
  • Options
    Hiya Julie give your brother a slap on the wrist for scaring you! i had an emergancy cs with my last and it was fine, i felt nothing when it was being done and i had the smallest of scars which you cant even notice. enjoy your pregnancy honey and dont worry about your brother hes being silly xxx
  • Options
    Just to say i have had two and until i read olliers post i had no idea exactly how it happened, i felt nothing and healed fine. good luck with it (ps dh didnt c anything, there is a screen up so you dont have to see xxDBxx
  • Options
    He's being a pig!!! Don't worry if you need a cs - I felt no pain, my scar is fine & I had a vbac this time.
  • Options
    hes well out of order telling u that in that way dont worry hun im on my 3rd csection and it really isnt how it is done he makes it sound like butchery if any1 had of said that to me id of run a mile no wonder u r worryed u dont feel a thing hun honestly i promise u all u feel is like washing up in ur tummy and just u been pulled round abit god hes scared me now just the thought of it hes a git doing that xx
  • Options
    Weird, I've had a csection and I never knew that was true!

I have to say, I didn't feel it when they cut (or ripped!) me open BUT I did feel the pulling and tugging Lo out, and that hurt! Not a terrible pain. Just a bit. But then he was stuck so it was quite a lot of pulling...

Hope i didnt scare you! xx
  • Options
    I've had 2 sections - the 1st was an emergency one, and the 2nd just under 2 weeks ago was planned. They definitely cut me first!!!

If you're that worried about what they do, you can actually watch footage of c-sections on You Tube - I made my OH watch one so that he knew what they would be doing to me and why he would have to drive carefully afterwards!!
  • Options
    my section was ok i never felt any ripping - just a bit of tugging.
    and hands inside me rummaging for socks in the sock drawer!
    it did not hurt - just rummaging sensation - was very unusual - but not painful!