Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

vbac....do you have to monitored + immobile from the start?

Hoped for a 'natura;' delivery this time round after emergency section under general a few years ago when only got to 1 few cm dilated but get the impression my midwife wants me to just have an elective section.
It's such a hard choice made worse as she said I have to be monitored from the very start of labour which means being stuck on the bed, no birth pool etc and quite immobile. No birth centre etc. The decision seems awful now as really didn't think I would have to be so closely monitored and think it would prob all end in a section anyhow. They also say they don't like to induce as can cause scar to rupture.
Anyone have any experience of the above....just think maybe a little 'over thetop' although realise baby needs to be safe etc.

Replies

• Options
    I was told I'd need constant monitoring this time (previous em. c-section) but that wouldn't necessarily mean being stuck to a bed. You can't exactly walk around as you please but you can sit on a chair or birthing ball or even stand up for a while.
  • Options
    ly understanding is that they just have to monitor u extremely regulalry to keep an eye on ur scar mainly...i had an em c section last time, also like u after a very long unsuccesful induction (2cm) where i was stuck to the bed sat upright, i found it very traumatic, i hada 'birth afterthoughts' thing after ds and i asked then if a vbac would mean being immobile again and she assured me that no, i should be able to move around, but they will want me to get on the bed at regular intervals to keep an eye on things...re induction, really depends on ur hospitals policy but most won't do the drip at all as that carries the highest risk of scar rupture, some will allow the gels, but usually only one and if that doesn't work the c section. if it turns out that i do have to be stuck to a bed again, then i'll rethink my vbac and go for an elective c section, because i really can't bare that again, but she assured me that this wouldn't be the case. xx

9+5
  • Options
    Thanks....seems i will have to wait to speak to consultant (long way off!!)
    Family keep saying after all that's happened aren't I glad that i would be monitored? Well, yes of course but not at the expense of being tethered like an animal to a bed!!
    But then again I want to give it a go as suffered all sorts f issues with not being able to see baby born etc last time. Hmmm seems i am stuck between a rock and a hard place. Any more thoughts would be welcome x
  • Options
    i know what u mean, i really want a vbac, but i can't face being 'tethered to the bed' again, it truely was awful, and i feel was partly why i didn't progress, as ds was back2back so he was just getting stuck hitting the back of my pelvis and not putting any pressure on my cervix.... having said that, i'm not 'afraid' of a c section this time, that in all honesty was the most calmest part of my labour/birth with ds, and it was done via spinal block so i was awake and got to see him enter the world...they only use general anaesthetic in real emergencies, so if u found out that ur hospital did intend to have u stuck on a bed and continuosly monitored and decided to opt for an elective u would be awake when ur lo was born, plus ur partner would be in the room with u too (i understand tahts not allowed when put to sleep) so u would both see it, also u can request that they lower the curtain on the moment they lift baby out so u can actually see the very first moments. although u may have a while til u see a consultant (as have i) it maybe worth u getting in contact with the head of midwifery at ur hospital, she'll be able to tell u what that hospitals policies are, and help u to have all the info u need to decide what u would like to, back up plans etc, so that ur well armed when u see ur consultant and have a good idea already of what u can and can't ahve, and of what u want....personally at the mo, i'm thinking to try for a vbac up to 10days over due (poss 14), but will have to see about this cos with ds they started inducing me at 40+3 due to high bp, but the plan is to go as overdue as i can, and if not already gone into labour naturally, then to allow the gels for induction (but not like last time where they left 24hours between each one) but to do them with the 6hour gap that they need so taht if they're not going to work then we will know by 36hours after the first one and if little or no progress at that point then to go for a c-section, rather than waiting 4 days to be getting nowhere like last time. obviously at the mo this is MY plan, and the woman at the 'birth after thoughts' thing had at the time said this shld be fine, but obviously a consultant needs to ok it, and things don't always plan out as we hope...also if ur still having issues with ur last birth, i suggest that u see if ur area offers a 'birth afterthoughts' type service, u can have it any time (years and years) afterthe birth, and i think especially as ur expecting again that u would benefit, i found it so very helpful, and now we're expecting again i'm so glad i did it otherwise i would stil have all the issues left over still, but most of those have been 'dealt' with now, and i feel 'brave' and confident enough to make desicions regarding this birth, particulalry as the session showed there had been some faults made on the mws part, which also means i trust my own instinct about what can and can't do a lot more this time...ie not being strapped to a bed. xx
  • Options
    double post x

[Modified by: WoW Baby on May 09, 2010 11:43 PM]

• Options
    Thanks for the long reply. I did have a general last time as ds nearly died and was touch and go afterwards for some time so know that a planed c section would be totally different. I am not scared of having it at all just think I should have a go at doing it naturally , although everyone keeps saying that if they had the choice they would have a c section as labour awful etc...yes i think but at least you have 'done it'. KNow i am putting too much pressure on myself but feel like i am a failure if have to have another c section.
  • Options
    i completely understand that wnating to try, i do feel i 'missed out', also and this is slightly...vain, but i hate it when peopel ask if i had him normally or what, and i reply c section and they always assume it was planned, not that there is anything wrong with a planned c section just thats not what i had, iyswim? i'll def be trying for a vbac as i want to atleast 'have another go' (as long as something doesnt crop up like breech or something) so i can feel like i actually did it, which is silly i know, but thats the way it feels. i will be gutted if i labour again to end with another c section, but i think i'm slightly more prepared this time (was quite naive about it all last time, would never happen to me type thing) so if it does happen i don't think i'll be as dissappointed, but dissappointed nonetheless. hope fully we'll both get nice lovely vbacs with happy healthy bambinos at the end of it xx

edited to say, though if they do insist on me being strapped to the bed again i'll either be requesting a c section or an epidural, not gonna sit in pain with no way to control it this time. x

[Modified by: WoW Baby on May 14, 2010 01:40 PM]

• Options
    Hi!

I had a VBAC 13 months after an emergency section. From the beginning of my second pregnancy I felt bullied by midwives and consultants who were all insisting i had another section. I stuck to my guns as I had 13 month old toddlers to look after and didn't want to be laid up after the birth. Eventually they agreed to induce me on the condition I was constantly monitored.
    I spent the labour imobile with my legs in stirrups and an awful midwife telling me to stop crying on about the pain. It was very traumatic. My daughter was eventually born by forcep delivery.

I am expecting another baby in August and am not backing down this time, I have insisted that I have a 'normal' labour where I am mobile and can adjust to the pain. I will be monitored periodically but I want to be in control. They are not 100% happy about this but it is my body and my birth.

I understand there is a risk of scar rupture but the risk is actually only 0.01% which is not very high when you consider the other risks involved in childbirth.

I think the most important thing is that it's YOUR decision. No-one elses. Please don't be bullied into anything as I still have nightmares about my last labour.