Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

induction after a prev c-section

After being told I could not be started off if I wanted a vbac due to risk of rupture I have now been told that there is a way of inserting a balloon through the cervix and inflating the end (with water) to naturally stimulate the cervix into dilating and starting labour. Has anyone else been given this option? Am keen to try a vbac and this means I can even though babe needs to be delivered early.

Replies

• Options
    hi camlo,

the balloon proceedure is still relatively new in this country, and many units do not yet offer it. you would need to speak with your local mat unit to see if they are offering it.

the idea is that for women with previous C/S it does not use the drugs to induce the labour, as more often than not, it is these that cause the problem of a ruptured uterus. (because of the rate in which they cause the contractions - a bit like if your body did it alone, it would build up bit by bit, whereas if induced, they can just start suddenly, fast and furious, putting the scar under stress quickly, and not giving chance to relax between contractions).

there are a large number of Consultants who will not induce previous C/S ladies due to this risk, but if your unit use the balloon, good luck with it!!
  • Options
    Well change of plan !!! Consultant today said I could be induced next Tues and when I said 'oh good you'll be using the special balloon then' he remembered I had previously had a section and said I could have 1 pessary to see if that made it favourable to use the balloon or break my waters and I would only have a section if those failed.
    MW also said they could use a drip if necessary during labour (prev told NO hormonal intervention for the reasons others have said!).
    Really hope I manage a VBAC.... image
  • Options
    good luck from me too!!

xxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    Hey good luck.

I tried for vbac and was so glad i did.

My consultant said one pessary and drip cld be used if i was happy with it.

My vbac failed but turns out im not plummed in correctly lol but I really enjoyed experience.

good luck looking forward to hearing your labour story xxDBxx