Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

cranial osteopathy

dh is keen for us to take lo for cranial osteopathy, mainly because he sleeps so poorly at night.

i have heard that it can hel;p c section babies - has anybody tried it and it so do you think it had any affect?

Replies

• Options
    Hi,
    Have tried to post once so here I go again! We visited a CO when lo was a week old-pobably too early. Think it must have helped him as he settled and ate better after our visit-or were we more confident I don't know.
    I was pushing for a good few hours and he was in hte wrong sopt so he lust have had one hell of a headache poor little soul.
    Anyway the mv in hospital reccommeded one for us and I used the below website to check them out before hand as I was very warey.Cost about ??30 for a session and we were there for an hour and half give or take.
    Anyway we felt anything was worth a go and we could have had more sessions but decided against it in the end. Hope that helps and good luck.

http://www.osteopathy.org/ZMENNK2BAB
  • Options
    Hello Tyger
    Sorry, i only just saw this post today - hope it's not too late.
    We took Matthew (now 22m) to Cranial Osteopathy (CO) and I think it helped.
    We had a difficult time just before i went into labour (I was rather ill with kidney infections), then labour lasted approx 54 hours, needed syntocin (sp), epidural etc and then ended up with emer c-sec. Matthew came out fine but i think he'd been squashed for a long time as I'd got to 9.5cm but couldn't get to 10 (grrrr!!) We also think they lost his heart beat at one point in late labour. After birth i was ill again and got very low and didn't bond well with him. Tho he was born with great scores, feeding went wrong, but then he went on to the bottle - which he guzzled up! After the first week, he started to hate being put down. He wouldn't sleep unless being held and this was a nightmare for us (esp as i was low) and also for him as, looking back now, he wasn't getting proper sleep. Oh, and if he did sleep alone, he was often quite fretful and startled a lot, if that makes sense??!!
    (I'm just telling you all our background in case it helps??)
    So, we finally took him for CO at 5weeks. The first session involved me telling the lady ALL about the trauma of the birth etc. She then did some massage on Matthew. He was awful for the 2 days/nights following but she said this can be v common. We had 2 more sessions (over the next couple of weeks) and by the end we noticed a change. Matthew seemed much calmer/more settled and was beginning to sleep on his own. Now, i can't swear that the CO was the cause, cos he also started to take a dummy, grew 'into himself' a bit, and i think i began to bond with him a little etc etc. However, i think it did something???
    I would agree that it's good to try and get a name of a CO from your doc or HV, ust so you know you're getting a 'good one'. Mine was good too that she didn't keep us coming when we didn't need to - she said at the 3rd appt that he was hugely improved and she didn't need to see him again. It is expensive, but i felt worth a go.
    Hope that helps you - good luck :\)
    Juliette
    PS We also found by accident that sliding Matthew forwards and backwards on the carpet in his rocker/bouncer chair helped him go off to sleep in the day - crazy things work eh??!!