Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Confused - Elective Section or VBAC?!

I had my son in July of last year so he is nearly 1 and am now 31 weeks pregnant.

I ended up having an emergency section after a long labour due to him being back to back, and due to epidural/spinals not working properly I had a General Anaesthetic too. I did have problems bonding at first due to me not seeing him born etc but everything is absolutely fine now.

The consultant has advised this time that he would like me to try for a VBAC but has given me the option of an elective section if I choose.

I am totally confused now as to what to do and just wondered if anyone has any advice to offer? Not sure I want to go through what I did last time as it was traumatic and an elective section would be more controlled. But not sure if I would regret not ever giving birth natutally as this will be my last baby, and may feel in years to come that I missed out on something!! I just don't know and starting to worry now as time gets closer.

When people ask I say I am defnitely having another section but there is still doubt in my mind. Not sure I could go through the pain and trauma like last time and I know every birth is different but just don't know!!

Any words of wisdom would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

• Options
    Hi,i had my baby on Weds and i wanted to try for a VBAC,but unfortunately i ended up with an elective c section as my bp was high and the water was low around the baby. I too had an emergency c section with my 1st and didn't want to go through it again,but i must admit going for an elective section is so different.I found it a much more calmer experience and i was home after 24 hrs!!
    I was at first dissapointed as this is my last baby and i have never experienced contractions or labour but my baby was born healthy and that is the main thing!
    Good luck in whatever you decide to do,if you want to ask me anything,please feel free. Nikki x
  • Options
    Hi, i had my first (twins) under GA due to severe pre eclampsia and spinal not working quickly enough, i like you had problems bonding.

I decided to try for a vbac with no3 my reasons being my twins were only 17 months so i wanted to be able to drive, pick them up etc, i knew i might want more kids in the future and i wanted to actually 'give birth' if that makes sense.

I put in my birth plan that it was very important that i was awake to hear babies first cry no matter how he arrived. so it was decided that i would try for a vbac BUT if there looked like there was any chance of having a section i would get an early epidural to make sure it worked and would be sent for a section without delay.

As it was i had another dreadful labour, bled loads and had another em sec, but it was so much better than the first time as i heard him cry and saw him straight away.

Personally im really glad i tried for a vbac, not least because i feel that electives are performed to early, at least if you go into labour and then have a section you know baby is ready to come out.

I have to have an elective this time, as they wont let me try for a vba2c, but whilst id like to try again and would if i could, there is some comfort knowing its all planned.

Good luck whatever you decide, its a very personal choice

xxDBxx

ps nikr, only one night??? im going to demand to stay in 3, I need the rest lol. Glad all went well tho looking forward to reading your birth story
    x

[Modified by: doublebubble on July 04, 2009 11:13 PM]

• Options
    I know doubblebubble,they asked what i wanted to do and i said go home and they happily obliged!!! I didn't have a very good nights sleep at the hospital anyway so wanted the support of my oh to help!!
  • Options
    Im glad you wanted to go home, had visions of you being herded out.

take care and enjoy your new addition

xxDBxx
  • Options
    hi, im currently 8 days overdue and am trying for a vbac. my 1st labour was exactly the same as yours, back 2 back, wouldnt come out after a 15hr traumatic labour and ended up being put out for emergency c sec. i ended up with post natal depression. i had a 2hour chat with a vbac midwife durin this pregnancy and decided i wanted to try for a natural birth but should i get to 42weeks i will then hav a c sec as they dont like to induce after a previous c sec. this way i thought i'd chosen both in a way and would let nature decide. so hear i am with my c sec booked this fri. im a little upset at the thought of not havin my vbac but hav realised if i do hav my c sec and this time am awake and hear his 1st cry and see him straight away then its goin to be such a dfferent experience than last time x
  • Options
    i had to have an emargency section due to ciara being 'undiagnosed breech' and they found out after my having contractions on and off for almost 24 hours (apparently they dont like to examin you now until they think your 'nearly ready' to reduce risk of infection...anywhooo, i definitly want to try for vbac next time...i do kinda feel that i 'missed out' in some ways..even though i was awake when she was born...and at the time i just wanted baby safe and out and would have done anything to do so.
    On the other hand, my auntie had an elective section with her 3rd and it was great for her because she could plan child care etc around it and she was really chilled and relaxed knowing when baby was going to come. at the end of the day i guess its own to what is best for you and baby.

i know that wasnt much help, woops, good luck

• Options
    Thank you for all of your responses. I did go to my hospital yesterday to see a midwife who provides a service of discussing the birth with you and going through and explaining all of your notes.

It was very interesting to hear but also a bit emotional too. She was very positive towards a VBAC and said I had a very good chance of success as I was fully dilated last time and pushing. It was just the position of baby.

I am maybe a little bit more confused now as I don't think I want to take a chance of things going the way they did to end up in a section again, although things may go completely fine! I am also scared of the actual giving birth part as that is something which is completely new to me.

I have a few weeks to decide but will update you later with my decision and birth story whichever way I go.

xx
  • Options
    Hiya,

I went through a similar situation to you last year in July, after being in labour for over 32 hours and my little one got stuck so i had to have emergency c-section and found it very hard the first few months to bond with my little boy but like you all is well now.
    Im currently expecting my second baby in November and after I lot of thought i think its best that I have a elective section this time as i dont want to experience or go through what i went through last time. The will be my last baby so i do feel a little guilty that i wont experience giving birth naturally but at the end of the day i thought about it and the best thing for me is to have another c-section.
    Only you can decide what you want.
    Hope it helps
    Michelle
  • Options
    I'm in a similar position as well - I have 10 weeks left and had my ds in Dec 07 - I had 32 hours of labour and ended up with a section as he was 10lbs and my contractions weren't strong enough to turn him or get his big old head out!! I didn't have any trouble bonding as I was awake and although I wish I could have had a natural birth I was just pleased it was over and he was healthy.

The consultant has said I can choose this time and I have a growth scan in 6 weeks by which time I need to decide. I would love to have a vbac as it will be easier with a big toddler and it is also my last child so want to experience the natural way!

My midwife also said that I have a good chance of success as I was fully dilated and pushing - I think this time it just depends on whether it's another big baby - she is already measuring bigger than Henry on the fundal height though so it's not looking good!

I hope you get the birth you want and will be interested to hear how you got on - it's such a difficult decision - I know I change my mind from one day to the next!

Good luck

xxx
  • Options
    Hi

I had an emergency section with my first after failure to progress past 4cm after 2 days of labour!!

I really wanted a VBAC as wanted to give birth naturally. I went for it and I did it. Had never been so proud of myself and felt so much better recovery wise than when I had my sectoin.

The labour was quicker 26 hours and it took me 15mins to get him out. I also had an epidural second time round which I think helped me relax as i declined when I had my daughter as she was first I wanted to try and do it naturally as possible !!

I would have always regretted not giving it a go and was pleased I did

Good luck
    xx
  • Options
    Just an update...

Saw the consultant yesterday and have elected for c section on 3rd of September.

At least I will have some control this time and feel calmer about the whole situation rather just waiting to see when I go in to labour and worrying that it will be like last time.

• Options
    I had an emergency Section with my first and was adament I should try to deliver second naturally but complications in pregnancy had me at assessment everyday from 36 weeks, one quiet afternoon the midwife got my file, read labour notes, discussed that pregnancy and suggested a similar experience would occur and midwife reminded me that the most important thing was to deliver a healthy baby....I had an elective section! 5 weeks ago I had my third section and tubal tie...no choice this time and the best experience of all 3. I would always say, if any chance a section needed go for the planned one its totally different and I recovered much quicker and bonded better....I had skin to skin contact within half an hour of delivery and lots of kisses before that!

Good luck...and enjoy!

• Options
    i had to have an emergency section with my 3rd (which was a shock after having 2 spontaneous labours where baby was born in less than 4 hours), he was posterior and oblique and was getting very distressed so the best option was a section. he is now 20 months old and i am expecting again, i want a vbac as i dont think it would be fair on my toddler as i wouldn't be able to pick him up etc, and he is quite a jealous baby so it would ruin him seeing me pick a baby up and not him. i would rather give birth vaginally 20 times than have another section, it affected me physically and emotionally, so desperate to avoid it this time, but obviously if it comes to it, it will have to be done, but only if the baby's or my life is in danger, if its down to pain management i will get by.
  • Options
    Just an update on my original post!!

I opted for the elective section in the end and had my baby boy on 3rd September. I have to say for me it was the best option and I felt much more in control of the birth. Also he weighed nearly 9 pounds!! image

An elective c section is so different to an emergency one and I had a really good experience. I was obviously anxious about having the section but that against the possibility of a labour like last time was worth it for me.

I don't have the feeling of guilt that I had failed like last time and have not had a problem with bonding as it was my choice.

Obviously this might not be the case for everyone and this will be my last baby, so in a way I will never know what it is like to actually give birth naturally but I have 2 beautiful boys and thats all that matters to me.