Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

They cut my baby's head UPDATE

Hello

The cut is quite deep about 1/2 an inch wide and 1 inch long.

I had my baby by cs 13 weeks ago, there was the surgeon and 2 junior dr's but I was told they wouldn't do anything they hadn't done many times before.

My baby was breech and I think her head was stuck as I remember them struggling a bit towards the end, at one point I heard the word forceps and looked at the theatre nurse in shock and she said they mean like holby city scissor forceps.

They gave me my baby but she had a hat on so I didn't notice till I got to the ward and noticed blood on the hat, it's one of those grazy type cuts that dont bleed too much but its so deep that hair hasn't grown in the centre of it, its grown around the edges though. I want to be able to tell my daughter why she has a bald patch and cant get any answers.

I asked my HV about it and she said any marks or cuts should have been on my notes and I should have been told if they were using forceps. My OH took a picture of her being weighed in theatre but didn't notice the cut as he was too excited, but it clearly shows the cut (sorry dont know how to load pictures on here) My HV has tried to investigate but got a response saying if I have any further concerns to tell my GP, so she thought they had seen me. I just want some answers and am so upset that the first few minutes that my baby was born were in pain. if it was unavoidable then fair enough but I just want to know what happened.

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1976/216/111/1479698645/a1479698645_30197800_6743.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FINALLY GOT AN APPT WITH MRS SCHRAM MY CONSULTANT ALTHOUGH I'VE NEVER MET HER AND SHE DIDN'T PERFORM THE CS, ITS AT BEGINNING OF MAY SO I'LL POST AGAIN THEN!!!!!!!!!

[Modified by: holly777 on 14 April 2009 19:19:42 ]

[Modified by: holly777 on 14 April 2009 21:46:47 ]

Replies

• Options
    i'm not sure how they could have cut your babies head as your lo was breech!

the cut to the uterus would have been when your baby was still breech, so the head would have been nowhere near the cutting site. some dr's do turn the breech to a head as they find it easier to deliver it, but this wouldnt have caused a cut to the head!

forceps are more known for bruising than cuts, and you can often see "blade marks" from them - it is difficult to explain what they would look like, but maybe an elongated figure of 8, but the bottom bit of it,

unfortunately sometimes cuts can happen, if the lo is right up to the uterus - my first got a superficial 1cm long cut in his hair as he was right up to the uterus wall, and there was no water around him at all.

i would suggest that you write to your Midwifery manager, and just ask if it could be investigated / why were you not told / how did it happen etc

try not to worry to much about the current bald patch tho ' this will more than likely grow over when she has a full head of hair
  • Options
    Thanks Ollier

My HV is going to contact them again and she said they should set up a meeting to talk to me about it.

I'll keep you updated, I wish I could upload a picture to show you, it's definately not a figure of 8, its more of a really deep graze.

Thanks again

Holly xx
  • Options
    i agreee with emma.i went to see consultant today to book me in for m my section n she said theres a 5% chance babys can be cut during the incision,but like its been said urs ws breech n nothing was said..id take it further to get answers!!
  • Options
    Zacky was born by section as well, and I noticed when we got to the ward he has some scratches on the middle of the back of his head, but I didnt say anything as they wernt bad. There was nothing about any injuries in any of the notes I read either. AM really not sure that it was the section lthat left the mark as it is more like a crows foot in shape. I wonder now if it could have been done during one of the 2 attempts to break my waters? He still has the mark at 31 weeks but it is now covered by hair so not to bad.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies I'll definately take it further and keep pestering them until they answer me, I'm going to learn how to upload a picture this wknd so you can see it (not on facebook) and I'll keep you updated when I find out more.

Holly xx
  • Options
    here goes

Woo hoo that was easy, the cut is near the front on the left hand side of her hair where her parting is, if you can zoom in its a lot clearer.

full picture of my daughter removed because of recent events in forum

[Modified by: holly777 on January 23, 2009 12:44 AM]

[Modified by: holly777 on January 30, 2009 10:49 PM]

• Options
    awww poor baby and u i bet u were upset mine were born by sections and so will be this 1 i didnt even no that that could happen id defo get advise over that thow but on a more positive note ure baby is beautifull and his hair will cover it so dont worry u wont even no its there i no it ent the point but u wont and nore will baby wen he or she is older xxx
  • Options
    Ah thankyou, my first daughter was born by section also breech and everything was fine and she was out in seconds, i'm sure your section will go with no problems. Good luck x
  • Options
    On a similar note when the midwife broke my waters she grazed Archie's head - not once but about 10 times. Didn't realize what the marks were until I was telling my community midwife about not having any water and the penny dropped.
    They took ages to heal (about 6 wks) but I haven't bothered getting it recorded (perhaps I should have at the time but I was just so pleased to have managed a vbac).
  • Options
    the graze has totally healed now and she is left with a bald spot, the hair has grown round the edges where the graze wasn't as deep, so I really dont think it will grow now, it's really near the front and where her natural hair parting is.
  • Options
    Hi
    I hope your little one is fully recovered from the delivery.What a thing to happen.My daughter was forceps so thought I would post a picture of what forceps marks look like.She has a mark down the side of her face.

http://photos-f.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v232/204/118/1172874490/n1172874490_170741_3059.jpg

• Options
    Ah beautiful!!!!!!!!!!

The thing is I dont know if they used forceps which is what I am trying to find out, hopefully they'll contact me soon with some answers.
  • Options
    Bigger picture, going to load new pictures on tomorrow to show what its like now

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1976/216/111/1479698645/n1479698645_30197800_6743.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1976/216/111/1479698645/t1479698645_30197798_8047.jpg

• Options
    hello hun how r u doing im just wondering how u r getting on with your beautifull baby and hows her head? did u seek advice? let me no how u r and how u r getting on xxx luv ema 25+5 days
  • Options
    Hiya Tinkerbell, ah thanks for thinking of us!

I keep phoning the HV who is in contact with the hospital and she never returns my calls going to try again tomorrow and if I don't get to speak to her I'm going to go through Patient advisory service as someone has suggested this is how it looks now

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2321/216/111/1479698645/n1479698645_30228614_9626.jpg

you can see a dint on the right

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2321/216/111/1479698645/n1479698645_30229213_8198.jpg

xx
  • Options
    awww bless shes beautifull shes got so big now god hasnt the time flowen by keep trying hv have a habbit of conveniently 4getting to return your calls id go down there or go direct to the hospital hun xxx
  • Options
    awww bless shes beautifull shes got so big now god hasnt the time flowen by keep trying hv have a habbit of conveniently 4getting to return your calls id go down there or go direct to the hospital hun xxx
  • Options
  • Options
    Thankyou! She's 18 wks tomorrow I cant believe it. Well, she had her 3rd lot of injections a week and a half ago and I spoke to my doctor about it, he has taken it on now and is writing to them and said I should definately have heard something within a month, strangely the HV called me that afternoon, (wednesday, returning call from monday) and I told her about dr and she said thats for the best as dr's have more clout in these situations. So hopefully I'll hear something soon
    xxx
  • Options
    Well I've finally got an appt with Mrs Schram my consultant even though I've never met her before!!

Its at beginning of may so I'll let you know how I get on.