Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

epidural if trying a vbac??

Hi girls- I was talking to a colleague who used to be a midwife and she said perhaps I wouldn't be allowed certain things if I had a vbac. I had heard waterbirths were out but she mentioned epidurals too as she thought I would need to have feeling of my scar??
Is this right as don't fancy a vbac without the option ( I am a chicken, with a low pain threshold....). image

Replies

• Options
    hi,
    im also hoping for a vbac & my consultant actualy suggested an epidural (like id turn it down, im also a chicken with low pain thresshold :lol: ) he seemed to think every one should have it!!
    id like to try the birthing pool for a bit of pain relief earlier on but im not sure if that is possible with all the monitoring that will be going on :roll:
    i was told they'd put the thing in my hand (cant remember what its called) pretty much straight away so that if things take a wrong turn its ready to go.
    as for being able to feel the scar, mine is still numb 2yrs on, i dont think it would make a difference ???
    hope all goes well
    carla 37+1
  • Options
    Thanks girls - thats good to know, it's not that I'd want 1 straight away but it sure is nice to have the option when things get going. Last time I was in soooo much pain I would have happily put it in myself if I could have!! Baby was breech yesterday (33 wks) so unless he turns it is not an option anyway - defo not going to try a breech vbac!
  • Options
    EmmaLou is right that it varies from place to place what is recommended.

some places say no - this is because when a scar ruptures, it is different feeling to contractions -the idea being you would say

some places yes - cos if it does rupture, you are already anaesthetised so they can get straight in.

you really should be monitored constantly - ruling out waterbirth, as by monitoring contractions & baby's heart rate, there is the possibility of "seeing" if the uterus ruptures.

saying that, i know of women who have delivered at home following C/S! not recommended by dr's!