Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

breaking your waters for VBAC

Hello all- just after some advice really. I am 40 weeks today. I had a sweep on tues and had contractions for a couple of hours but they have tailed off since. They won't give me another sweep but have booked me in for a section at 40+10. I am trying to avoid this. They have said they will break my waters first on the morning to see if that starts labour. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of this?
Thanks,
Abbie 40 weeks today!
xxx

Replies

• Options
    I had my water broken to induce me after a previous c-section. I was 36+6. I was given a pessary to ripen the cervix enough to break the waters with the rod.
    One word i would use to describe it would be excruciating!
    Sorry if this puts you off, but i would have handled it better if i was prepared. It might have hurt so much because the doctor was trying really hard to break my water as i would be having a c-section if he couldn't and my cervix might not have been as ripend as they would usually like it to be.
    The pain stopped instantly as the waters went, there was loads of it! Then the contractions came thick and fast and i found it hard to cope with them, which ultimatley led to my emergency section.
    Good luck xx