Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

I don't want a C-Section!! (Experiences please?!)

Hi ladies, I would like some experiences from you if possible please?!

I'm having twins and at the mo they are both lying transverse. They may or may not move - but when I get to 36 weeks if they haven't moved they will be planning a c-section for 38 weeks.

I overheard a conversation between two pregnant women at the hospital today, one of whom said it took her 6 weeks to get back on her feet after a c-sec, and the other lady said it took 3 months to fully recover. I don't want to be struggling for the first few months of my babies lives, I want to enjoy it! and I really don't want a c-section for these reasons. But obviously I won't have a choice - it depends on my little ones.

Has anyone had a c-section and recovered quickly? Did you struggle with your babies/walking/driving etc afterwards?

Thanks
xx

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/26/2692/269256.png

[Modified by: snowangel on 05 May 2009 11:45:30 ]

Replies

• Options
    Hi

I had to have a c sec 8 weeks ago as my little girl was breech. I cried for days when I was told they couldn't turn her because like you I was worrying about the recovery.

Well let me say, if I had to have another section I wouldn't be bothered!! The hospital I was at made it a very personal experience, the theatre staff were amazing. Its a very strange sensation not being able to feel or move your legs, but you are able to feel the surgeon in your stomach when he pulls your baby out!! I won't lie, yes you'll be comfortably to start with, it is major surgery after all. I could only walk short distances for the first couple of weeks. It really depends how active you are. 8 weeks on and I'm doing everything I was before the section. I walk about 5 miles a day with bubs in pram, play golf twice a week. I get the odd little twinge but nothing more than that. Driving is the only issue, you have to wait till after your 6 week check up to be able to drive because of your insurance, but I'm sure family and friends will be more than happy to chauffer you around, mine did but more so they could cuddle bubs!! I'm sure if you sit around after the section it can take weeks/months to recover, a friend of mine has an 18 month old and she still says it hurts but she does no exercise at all, whereas if your more active and do a little every day you'll be fine. You won't miss out on the first days of your babies lives. The only time I couldn't look after my little one was the night of the section, but I didn't go into threatre till 4.30pm and the hospital let my OH stay till early hours so he could look after her.
    I spent the last couple of weeks of my pregnancy dreading having the section rather than looking forward to meeting my baby and resting myself. My only advice, relax and go with the flow and you'll be fine. The other bonus, you'll know exactly when you get to meet you babies, its really exciting going to bed the night before knowing they'll be here the following day!!

Good luck, and keep us updated on you twins!!!

Shell x
  • Options
    Hi snowangel.
    I have a c section planned too which I am getting nervous about - its either 20th May or 10th June, once the Doctors have madeup their minds. I had BBQ with sister in law yesterday and she has had 2 sections ( one emergency ) and one natural birth. She is tiny framed and the babes were all 6lbs ish. She said yesterday that she was out of bed within first 24hours ( needed a ciggy ! ) but she felt right as rain a few days later. She said the worst thing was air, trapped in her body and she was given peppermint and something else to help disperse it. I asked hospital for some guidance notes etc,,. and they looked at tme like I was mad!

Iposted a reply to you on another forum about Arnica - apparently its meant to help reduce bruising and was recommended but I need to find out more about it. Its homeopathic so should be safe to take?

I am more worried about driving and getting the baby up and down the stairs if we are not meant to lift anything 'heavy'. Flippin pram weighs a tonne and we are over a mile away from nearest shops and sons school.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on and apologies for not being able to give knowledgable advice, just nice to know I am not the only one whittling about it...

take care

Tracyx

[Modified by: WineLover on May 05, 2009 03:32 PM]

• Options
    WineLover - They say it is perfectly fine to lift your baby, and getting up and down stairs shouldn't be a problem. They just say not to lift anything heavier than your baby, eg the hoover, washing etc that will have to be OH job once baby arrives!!

Good luck
  • Options
    hi i had a emsc wiv my 1st who is now 13wks i dont want 2 put u of but i had split open twice 1st time i was in kitchen havin a fag an i coughed i felt wormth runnin down my leg it was blood ther was only me an my mom in so my mom foned my dad an he told me 2 lie flat on setee an put pressure on it 2 stop the bleedin anyway he came bk an phoned the paramedics so wen thay come thay phoned the hospital n thay sed it was meant 2 happen cause i didnt bleed during cs and a lot of fluid came out the 2nd time i was in bed it was 5:30am an bf was settlin lo of so i sed turn light on an he did i was bleedin agen so had 2 go 2 hospital it was snowin at the time aswell at 7:00pm thay finally stitched me bk up its healed ever so good since and aint had any problems since eccept itchin and a few twinges and most of this was due 2 a silly cough i had and a blood clot in my scar and the surgeon sed mine was the 1st 2 come open in 5yrs bit of a bad experiance but im fine now x
  • Options
    It looks like everyone recovers differently. I'm still hoping for a natural birth though. Thanks for your replies ladies they have helped. Winelover - i'll be getting some of those tablets!! xx
  • Options
    Hiya, Ive had 2 cs's both breech (little monkeys), My first (almost 4 yrs ago) I was walking, very slowly that night, and pretty much fine 2 weeks later, the 2nd (6 mths ago) I was walking the following day. The morning after I got out of hospital, so 4 days post cs, I swept and mopped my floor as oh had done a rubbish job of it and midwife was coming (stupid I know). I felt fine to drive 2 weeks after so phoned my insurance and they said if dr said I was fine to drive then I could, although didn't bother. The 2nd was harder than the 1st but then again I was 3 yrs older and had a 3yr old and baby to care for!

You will be fine xxxxx
  • Options
    i had a section 8 months ago, JJ was born at 1.52pm and i was sat out for visiting by 7pm...i was on my feet the next day and home the day after that...never had any problems apart from my scar got infected but that didn't affect my physical abilities if u get what i mean, i was on a bus when JJ was 8 days old to the MILs lol! x
  • Options
    jackincourtney, thats why they recommend you stop smoking before your section, because you will cough more!!! I had an emergency section with my first and I would happy do it again!! It wasn't a negative experience at all. Ok, it is sore but it desn't take long before you are back on your feet plus it doesn't stop you enjoying your new little bundle (or bundles in your case)! If you go in ith a positive attitute then you'll get a positive outcome, I always say!
  • Options
    Hi

Just to say ive had two, my second when my twins were only 17 months old and i was fine, yes a little sore and i have a really low pain threashold but still able to care for all three of them, 1 week after my section i was alone for the weekend with all 3 and was fine, just make sure you have enough voltarol (my hospital only give you 3 to take home so get some from your doctor) and get some lactulose to prevent any problems

xxDBxx

ps my twins moved from transverse to cephalic about 34 weeks and i went into labour at 34+4 only had section due to rapid onset pre eclampsia
  • Options
    Hi Snowangel

Please don't worry. I had a c-section 10 months ago - lo was breech and turning would have been an issue, so we arranged an elective c-section. I was very upset at the thought of it but the actual experience was so stress free and the staff were wonderful. Went in at 7am, by 8.30 I was holding my baby. After hearing all my friends recent natural birth experiences, I have no desire to ever do that now!!! The C-secton was incredibly civilised.

Recovery was very simple, hardly needed any pain killers and was up and walking the next day - they did reccommend bed rest the first day, but kik you out of bed on the second and was home on the third. I didn't carry lo up and down the stairs and I did no housework, which was SUCH a shame lol, bt my dh was very good and supportive. Not driving for 6 weeks was a pain, but after seeing my doctor, he checked me out and said as soon as I could do an emergency stop i could drive. You can drive earlier if you choose to but some insurance companies wil not cover you if you haven't had medical clearance.

I have been told that it is because of emergency c-sections that c-sections have such a bad name (don't know how true this is) buut apparantly your body goes more into shock with an emergency section, plus in most cases they are under GA which also takes its toll on you.

Please, please don't worry. The only thing I found strange was knowing exactly when I would have my baby. The night before dh & I decided to go to the cinema and after the film it suddenly hit me that I would be a mummy by that time the next day! I had a bit of a panic - decided I wasn't ready, too immature, selfish etc to be responsible for a baby and had a five minute freak out - but not about the c-section!

Best of luck with everything :\)
  • Options
    hiya,
    you really dont have any need to be scared. i had an emergency c section with my second as she was undiagnosed as breech.

having a c section has always been my biggest fear, but it was fine i reallly dont knmow why i was so scared of it.

The section its self was very quick, less than 40 mins from first cut to bf'ing in the recovery room. they held her u7p when she was born so we could see what sex she was for our selves, then she was put right next to me so i could cuddle and kiss her while i was stiched up,.

as for the recovery, i had her at 4pm and by 10pm was up and about. i never needed any help with looking after her i changed all her nappies and fed her my slef right from the start.
    i went home after 48 hours and went ot tesco on the way home from the hospital. although i did have to take things a bit slowly at first within a couple of weeks i felt fine. the only down side was not being able to drive for 4 weeks after but that soon went.

so dont be scared it really isnt that bad. xx