Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Scar bleeding a bit after 6 weeks (ended up a bit long sorry

Hi,

This is my first post on here, not really talked about my son's birth on BE as it was all a bit of a blur. I had an emergency c-section after being in labour for over 24 hours and I hadn't slept or eaten much for about 2 days. I generally felt a bit crap to be honest, and felt i had let my baby down by being so out of it at first. He wasn't feeding enough, so he lost a bit of weight and my milk didn't come in properly till about day 6 or 7, I felt like I should have realised why he was so upset . :cry: Anyway he is fine now and feeding great and putting on lots of weight, althoguh I can't help thinking about the birth and that first week sometimes.

I had to go on antibiotics after about 2 weeks as I got an infection in my scar, probably because I didn't look after myself at all and was more worried about the baby. I have actually felt a lot better since then so I guess the infection was making me feel even rougher.

Anyway that was meant to be a bit of background!

I have noticed today that there is a bit of bleeding from the end of my scar, I can see the red blood on my underwear. I have tried to have a wee look (still a bit of overhang above scar, sorry TMI) and it doesn't look too red but I am worried I have been doing too much and damaged it.

How healed should it be by now? I am still feeling a bit of pain from the scar, and also just kind of muscular pains in my stomach. I have been taking Ibuprofen or Paracetamol as needed since my other painkillers were finished. Have not taken them so much the last few days.

Sorry for the long post. I suppose I will get checked out next week hopefully as I am due my 6 week check, not heard from the surgery yet though for my appointment. :x

thanks,

thistle

Replies

• Options
    hi firstly, congratulations on the birth of ur son.

i too had an em c scetion in march so i remember the feelings of failure that u describe. for me i have come to terms with it a lot more now, a section was the ebst thing for ur baby so please do not put any blame on urself, and don't think that u shld have known what was wrong when ur miklk didn't come in, the midwives were there to help u, and if they didn't spot it then how cld an exhausted new mum?
    i also got an infection in my scar, and all 3 ogf my friends who have had c sections have too, it doens't mean ur not looking after urself but ur more prone to infection when ur run down and ur never more run down when u've got a newborn lmet alone when u've had major surgery too.

if u r bleeding from ur scar this wld suggest its not healing properly and that perhaps u have pushed urself a bit too much. ur stitches may need replacing (altho mine didn't bleed my scar statred to split at one edge and mw put some butterfly stutches on it) remember no hoovering or lifting anything heavier than baby. if the house looks 'lived in' (lol) then OH can chip in, u won't be looked at as lazy but u wldn't be expected to do housework etc if u had had a hysterectomy (the equuiv in invasiveness and recouperation) alet alone look aftre a lo and do housework. if anyone offers help let them, if they offer to take ur ds for a walk let them, it'll give u chance to have a soak, relax, watch telly, sleep or just go 'ahhh' for a minute.

at 7months now, i still feel the odd niggle in my scar, but nothing like it was for the first couple of months, its normal for it to be feeling tender and sore but if its actually painful then u need to get it looked at (which u will do anyway cos of the bleeding) if u r still needing to take ibuprofen etc then do so, don't feel like a wimp or anything, so take them if u feel u need them.

it might vary from gp to gp, but i had to book my check myself, (ur mw shld have told u this if its the case it ur gp), and also hear its always done at 8weeks (altho they do call it a 6wk???) give ur surgery a call, or when u go into to get ur scar checked ask ur gp what is happening with ur check, u may find she'll give u the once over there and then (not that mine did anything, was a nurse at 12weeks, cos they can,celled my 8week and that was next available, took my blood pressure and weighed me, asked if i had any problems and taht was it). degfinately give them a call as my docs was they book ur lo's 8week check and jabs, but u need to book urs (makes no sense to me why they can't doa a mum and baby chack save going back twice)

good luck and congratz again xx
  • Options
    I am 7 weeks post c-sec mine was called elective but I didn't really elect as baby was breech so was safest (i hate the word elect) anyway my scar has healed and is now a healthy pink colour but I didn't get an infection I def think you need to get it checked out but it sounds as if its the outside rather than inside as the inside stiches will be abot a cm above the outside ones so thats good as inside not healing is worse.
    I still have numbness and if baby kicks me (when he's on changing mat or something) then I feel a mild pain. Everyone is different but I think it takes a good 3 months to heal fully. I'm not sure you should still be on pain killers though (also you shouldn't take ibuprofen consistantly or for extended times as its bad for yr stomach lining but I'd get it checked at yr G.P). Considering all the trauma, infection etc you've had it does sound like yr doing brill xxx
  • Options
    I am 7 weeks post c-sec mine was called elective but I didn't really elect as baby was breech so was safest (i hate the word elect) anyway my scar has healed and is now a healthy pink colour but I didn't get an infection I def think you need to get it checked out but it sounds as if its the outside rather than inside as the inside stiches will be abot a cm above the outside ones so thats good as inside not healing is worse.
    I still have numbness and if baby kicks me (when he's on changing mat or something) then I feel a mild pain. Everyone is different but I think it takes a good 3 months to heal fully. I'm not sure you should still be on pain killers though (also you shouldn't take ibuprofen consistantly or for extended times as its bad for yr stomach lining but I'd get it checked at yr G.P). Considering all the trauma, infection etc you've had it does sound like yr doing brill xxx
  • Options
    Hi, a belated thank you for your replies - it actually started feeling better within a week and i was able to stop taking any pain killers. The scar actually looks pretty good, mostly just a pink line with slightly redder bits where the infection was. The nurse had a look at my check (it was at 8 weeks, the letter arrived the day after I posted) and said it was ok, just those bits taking longer to heal.

So feeling a lot better, although still mostly in big pants as i can't stand my ordinary shorts type ones resting on the scar aagh!