Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

A few questions for a first timer...

I am currently 38 + 2 with my first and have everything ready for my homebirth. I have a few questions that hopefully I will also run past my MW on Weds, but thought I would ask here first in case I forget.... which would not surprise me!!
If I tear during the birth, will the MW stitch me up at home, or will I have to go into hospital? I know if it is quite sever, you will transfer, but what if it is not that bad?
Also, for those of you who had waterbirths, when did you get in the pool? Do I have to wait for the MW to get here first? I am so confused about all the timings etc. and also the temp of the pool? I think I read it needs to be 37 degrees for the birth, but less than that to labour in case contractions slow down? Is that right?
And then just out of interest, is there anyone here who had a homebirth for their first and how long was your labour? Did you find the pain manageable? The closer I get, the more I am starting to panic and think I wont be able to deal with the pain!!

All that said, I am soooooooo excited about meeting my little one and in a very strange way, about experiencing labour!

xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi, I had a home birth with my 1st pregnancy and it was the best thing I could have done, was a wonderful experience.
    If you do tear, the midwives will stitch you up at home with a local aneasthetic.
    I'm not sure about the water birth I'm afraid, as I didn't have one!
    And it was my 1st and I was in labour for while. My 'latent stage' (with very irregular contractions, not very painful) lasted about 24 hrs. The '1st stage' (with regular contractions getting more painful) lasted about 16 hrs, and I was pushing for about 1 hr.
    I know that sounds really long, but I didn't realise til afterwards how long it had gone on as I was just in the 'zone' and concentrating on my breathing etc, and time passed very quickly, if that makes sense!!!!
    And I was the same as you, I really wanted to experience labour. And I'm looking forward to doing it all again in November (at home) as I'm 14 weeks pregnant yay!!!
    Good luck xxx
  • Options
    I had a waterbirth at home with my first and it lasted about 12 hours although it wasn't bad. It is best to wait for the midwife before you get into the water because if you get in too soon it can slow things down.(which i think happened with my 1st as i couldn't wait to get into the water) The water does need to be 37 degrees for the birth but while you are using the water as pain relief it can be a bit cooler if you want.
    I have just had my 4th waterbirth and have always found the pain managable with water and G&A.
    And i did tear with my 1st (but not with the others) and the midwife did stitch me at home.

A home waterbirth is the best! just try and relax through the contrations and enjoy the experence!
    xxx
  • Options
    Had my first at home and loved it... I tore but midwife stitched me up on the arm chair, one leg up on the birthpool box, the other on the pool, glam!

I didn't get in pool till I was 8cms, that's what I was when midwife arrived to find me in the bath. No idea what the temp was, just let hubby and midwife deal with it.

I'd been having contractions since around 11am, only started to struggle about 5pm, in bath at 5.30 first gas and air, in pool at 6 (instantly felt like I might cope after all). Started pushing about 8pm, baby born at 8.25pm.

Hope you get the birth you want.