Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Hypnobirthing at home - how is everyone finding it?

Hey,

Quite a few of you have posted about hypnobirthing in the other thread and i was wondering of those who have started it - how are you finding it?
I am going to a local 'taster session' this evening but i don't think i can justify the price of the actual course - ??295 for two days - as I still have a few baby bits to buy and we are hopefully moving house before baby arrives.

So how are people finding the CDs, books and courses that they are using?

Libby (33+3)

Replies

• Options
    Hi Libby,

I'm really enjoying the course. I've read the book (twice!) and have been using the cds for around 2 to 3 months now. I am now finding getting into a deeply relaxed state comes quite naturally. I'm hoping I can manage just as easily when I go into labour (getting relaxed in bed when I'm not experiencing surges is a piece of cake, when baby's arrival is imminent it may be another story). However, I'm already feeling very confident and excited about the birth.

With regards the classes, we've had three of five so far. These have been just us and our hypnotherapy instructor in our own home. Our instructor (Leisa) is absolutely lovely. We both feel really comfortable and relaxed with her. I do feel that the classes could be a bit shorter, however, Leisa is so enthusiastic about hypnobirthing that they do tend to run well over 2 1/2 hours each time! It can be hard to stay focussed for nearly 3 hours after a full day at work - in particular when you're interpersing relaxation practice and visualisation sessions throughout the class which can leave me absolutely zonked image

A lot of people do ask whether the classes are worth the money. Can you get the same from the book and CDs? While I am really glad I'm doing the classes and feel I've gotten a lot more from them than I would just from the book and CDs I think some people might get enough benefit from just the book and CDs. Yes, a lot of the classes just regurgitate what is in the books, but this reinforces the message which is important with hypnobirthing. You need to believe and also tap into your subconcious and repitition strongly aids this.

What I HAVE found incredibly beneficial from the classes is the practice:

- You practice visualisation techniques and relaxation in the classes - while the CD does this, it is the same visualisation every time! Your instructor can use different visualisation and this is helps you come up with a good repetoire to use. A lot of relaxation and visualisation techniques are covered in the book but very briefly and I struggled to put them into practice. Doing so with Leisa and having her elaborate on the methods really assisted me.

- Breathing techniques - it's one thing reading about the three different breathing techniques (used at different stages of labour) in the book - it's another thing entirely to put them into practice. I've found this part of the classes invaluable.

- Soft touch massage - again, this is only briefly mentioned in the book but without instructions on how to put it into practice. This is an excellent way of getting your endorphins (nature's little painkillers!) going during labour and is taught in the class (we covered this on Tuesday - it was BLISS!).

- Getting your birth partner involved - my hubby didn't read the book. I'm sure if I 'nagged' he would but I don't do nagging (maybe I should start, more things might get done!) so the classes have been great to get him involved, informed and on board with hypnobirthing. While he is finding them a bit of a chore, his enthusiasm is growing as he sees how the techniques are working for me.

- Fear release - you will cover a hypnosis session based around fear realease. You cover what your fears are about the birth and parenthood and deal with these. Apparently underlying fears can surface during labour and add to the fear-tension-pain cycle. By facing them and dealing with them in advance you can prevent this. Again, this is something mentioned in the book but something you actually DO in the class.

- Confidence - doing the classes has definitely increased my confidence in hypnobirthing and in myself. I truly believe this will work... very important come January!

But for those who can't afford the classes I would advise them to definitely get the book and CDs and practice, practice, practice for months in advance! (Our classes were ??275 which I actually think is very good value as we're getting individual attention in our own home and it includes the course material. We were going to be paying for the NCT classes but chose this instead so our HIP went towards paying for hypnobirthing).

As I mentioned, I've only had three of the five classes so far so I will, no doubt, have more to add to this. Hope I've made sense here and haven't waffled (brain doesn't seem to be functioning today).

Any questions (coz no doubt I've missed something!!) just ask :\)

Anna
    http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev027pr___.png

• Options
    Oh... I need to add one thing...

I used to be a little highly-strung, prone to a bit of a temper and snappy -my words....
    "anti-christ at times" would be my hubby's.

I have found that using the relaxation techniques I'm learning and making a concious effort to become a more chilled out person has made me a totally different person - I'm no so much happier, relaxed and stress-free. No doubt this is going to be a god-send when I'm a new mother. The relaxation techniques will also come in to their own when/if baby is screeching the house down at 3am!!!
  • Options
    Well there is no need for me to repeat what babybarbarella has already said as she has summed it up perfectly image

The only thing I would add on the getting your partner involved front is that the course definately brings this home. My hubby did read the book (though I suspected at the beginning he more skimmed over it! - he has since re-read it). The course really drilled home for him how important his role is in the birth. I saw this in the other birth partners on our course (all male) and I thought this was great. They arent just bystanders, you have to really rely on them. This has also strengthened our relationship and our bond over the pregnancy. Im someone that finds it hard to just let go and hand myself over to him, but with the hypno Im able to, much to his delight.

I too have become a much much more chilled out person, generally, as a result of the hypno. I love who I have become.

If you can only go it alone and not go on the course, I would suggest just being more disciplined. Use the online resources that are available as well as the Marie Mongan book and CD. Even without the course, you do need to be self-disciplined as a couple to practice. You want things to be able to come naturally by the time your birth comes round.

I also find that my relaxation is most effective using the light touch massage whilst either listening to the downloads or having my hubby do the relay scripts to me. We also have an indian head massage thing (orgasmatron: http://www.needapresent.com/gifts/orgasmatron) which I find really good! It really gives you goose pimples and sets off those endorphins!

xx
    41+3

• Options
    All of this info is really great, thank you so much for your help. I didn't realise it involved partners to such an extent. I need to get on with some research!
    Thanks again.
    Libby (34+5) xx