Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Advice on starting out

Hello ladies!

I'm thinking I'd like to have a home birth but am only 6 weeks at the moment so not even been to see the doc yet, let alone started with booking in appts etc. But just wondered if anyone had any pearls of wisdom on how to broach it with the midwife, answers to tricky questions if they're not keen on me doing it etc. I have no idea how they are about it in my area so if there's anything I can think about or do in advance to help get what I want I'd really appreciate any advice. I'm concerned that they'll think my two bed flat is too small or will think I'm not a suitable candidate perhaps. My blood pressure is often a little high but not dangerous and I'm a bit overweight. Not a heffalump but could do with losing a stone, that kind of thing. Any advice from someone who has gone through the process before me would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Skye.

Replies

• Options
    Hi Skye,
    Congratulations on your pregnancy!
    I am hoping to have a home birth but haven't had one yet!
    I found that the midwives were not really interested in anything early on in my pregnancy apart from the pregnancy itself and the babies development. They only needed to know if i wanted a homebirth recently (I'm nealry 35 weeks).
    The kind of home you have, has nothing to do with it - they do visit at about 37 weeks (in my area anyway) but that is to leave some stuff and i think to figure out where they can make a cup of tea!

I think it is fairly standard everywhere that you can only have a homebirth if you have no complications during your pregnancy.

The only other thing i would say is that i haven't got any info from midwives about homebirthing apart from about 10 minutes worth at an antenatal class. That is because i have been seeing a midwife who doesn't like to do them - i have now swapped to a midwife who i know loves doing them (she said so during the antenatal class). Of course they work on a rota so who actually comes out to the birth is pot luck but i wanted to see someone more positive at this stage, even if they don't end up attending.

I have got good info about hombirthing from this website/forum, my antental yoga class, and from generally looking into it! Some areas also have local homebirth groups who meet on a regular basis.

I hope that helps a bit! I'm sure some other ladies on here who have had a homebirth can add lots more!

Libby (34+5) xx
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply Libby. Sounds like I don't need to panic yet then. Will look into local homebirth groups though, that sounds good. Best of luck with yours and hope you get the birth you want. Skye. x
  • Options
    not got any advice, but noticed ur in the july forum with me! and im planning a home birth too!! told my midwife last week, and she seemed ok with the idea! no idea how to go about anything tho!! x
  • Options
    I just had a homebirth with my first baby last Saturday.. what an amazing experience! One I could not have imagined if I'd have had to be in a hospital!

My hubby and I live in a 2 bed flat (46m2) and we managed it just fine. We did intend to have a water birth with a pool set up in the living room and although it was inflated, we didnt have time to fill it as my labour progressed really fast, so I delivered in the bath tub where I was the entire time (my birth story is on this forum section if you want to read). I would certainly recommend the water for pain relief!

It certainly helps to have your midwife on board as you feel reassured of your choice of birth. If youre not happy with your midwife, change. They are unlikely to be the one to come out anyway (although I went with independent midwives, my hospital one only did ante-natal, and it would have been on-rota midwives from the birth centre who would have come to my home for the delivery - when I spoke with them they were very supportive).

Throughout your pregnancy your bp will be monitored, amongs other things, and if you remain low risk without any complications in your pregnancy then you should be able to have your home birth.

The birth pack they bring around at 37 wks is the birth kit that the midwives need for the delivery. On the day they will bring additional kit, like gas and air if you require it, the infant resucitator kit (just as a precaution!).

• Options
    Sim75 - your birth sounds wonderful! It's really made me determined to go for it. Glad to hear someone else has done it in a 2 bed flat. I guess I'll just warn the neighbours in advance. Thanks for all the info. Very helpful.
    Gracie19 - am really pleased someone else in dueinjuly is going for a homebirth. Make sure you let me know how it all goes. Will tell you what sort of response I get from the midwives. I mentioned it my mum last night thinking I should probably break it gently and she thinks it's a great idea so feel much more confident about it. Skye.
  • Options
    Hi Skye,

congratulations on your pregnancy and its great to hear you are looking into having a homebirth. I gave birth to my first daughter in September at home and I honestly think its the best decision I ever made!
    My birth story is on this forum somewhere if you're interested but you might have to just go through my old posts to find it as it was a while ago.
    I too had a birthing pool which we hired and I also went to hypnobirthing classes which helped me so much but you can opt for some pain relief at home too if you think you'll want it. I was offered gas & air and pethidine (which Id have had to have got via a prescription before the birth) I didnt use anything as I found the water really helped along with the relaxation and breathing techniques I learnt.

All this coupled with the fact I was comfortable in my own home meant I only had a 9 hour labour with no complications and it went so quickly.

Id highly recommend you look on www.homebirth.org.uk which is a reference site run by someone called Angela Horn. It has so much useful info on there and you can also join a homebirth forum where you can post any questions or concerns you might have. This website is good for that of course but Ive found that the above site is more active and has posts from women who are having problems getting homebirths supported etc and there are some really informed women & midwives on there who can advise you what to do if you come up against resistence.

I personally had to choose at 8 weeks at my booking in appt where I gave birth but that was just how my area worked. I initially booked into the local birthing centre as I liked the idea of a homebirth but was a little nervous with it being my first baby and also wasnt sure how the midwives would be. It turned out my particular midwife who I was lucky enough to see all the way through was very pro-homebirth and so were all of her team so I was fully supported when I changed my mind at 36 weeks and decided I wanted a homebirth afterall!

Good luck with the pregnancy and wishing you a happy and healthy 9 months. Im often to be found in this forum or in 'may baby was born in sept' if you want to ask me any questions about anything or feel free to email me.

Sarah & Isla. 12 wks 5 days.x
  • Options
    Thanks Sarah, that's really helpful. The website is great too, there's loads on there! I may well drop you a line once things get underway if that's ok. Sounds like you had a really lovely experience and I'm also thinking of doing a hypnobirthing course so would be great to hear any feedback on that. Thanks again and congrats on Isla's birth!