Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Step/chair in birth pool?

I was about to title this thread... Stool in Birth Pool? but thought better not to!! :lol:

We did a test run to blow ours up the other day and I was surprised how deep it is. Firstly, I figure it would be easiest not to blow the top ring up until I get in as I worry I won't be able to lift my leg over to get in if Im near fully dilated??

Secondly, what Id like to know is whether you need to have a little step/low chair/stool to sit on when in the pool, as opposed to sitting on my butt with my legs stretched out flat. I thought I would prob sit on my knees and lean back for a bit, or lean forward with my arms over the side but will I need to sit down at all to rest my legs? I have practiced in the swimming pool at the gym but its always been on a step at the side... I know you arent supposed to get in to the birth pool til quite late so as not to slow things down but how long can I stay on my knees I wonder?

Any advice would be great !

xx
37+6

Replies

• Options
    hello again!
    loved your first line to that - showed it DH and he said yes, there usually is - ewwwww!!

ok, now after planning a fab waterbirth, i found that the bath they tell you to have initially wasnt helping and then when i got into the birth pool again it didnt help at all - in fact the midwives got me out! i didnt offer any resistance and gave birth on dry land! it really didnt matter at the time, but i am such a water person i was really quite surprised! all im saying is dont panic if i doesnt work for you - my labour was v quick so maybe it was too late?

i had the birth pool in a box with a little seat an di never got near it - i prefered leaning over the edge forwards - in fact the whole time i was in labour i couldnt sit - not on ball, loo etc i felt i couldnt bend - makes sense if you think where baby is at that time lol, so maybe think about a blow up cushion you can kneel on or sit on, or a pile of towels maybe would do the same. actually i rem nct class suggested something blow up to rest your head on - just remembered that lol!!

as for the blowing up thing, think our instructions suggested letting out middle layer and keeping top layer firm - midwives and you will lean on top layer to get in and out, and you will manage it believe me, an that needs to be firm. you may not get much time to fill it and think about inflating top ring - we thought we would have loads of time to sit and do things - nope - only just got it filled in time - just something to be aware of!!

HTH
    Jane xx
  • Options
    Im a big water person myself, could swim before I could walk as my mum always said. So I too would be surprised if I end up finding out the water is just not for me. But keeping an open mind as to what can happen as anything goes for sure!

But if all goes to plan in the pool, I do have a bath pillow which I can use in the bath and the pool. I could try it to sit on if i need it, or some towels like you suggest, great idea. I also have some old pillows I have kept for the birth and will throw away afterwards so maybe I can use those too if need. But I too think if Im in there I may prefer to be leaning over the pool anyway.

That's a better tip too to keep the middle ring deflated to get in instead of the top ring. Makes more sense. Inflating it takes no time, but yes its the filling it! I would like a fairly quick labour but not so fast that we cant fill the pool.. !

Thanks for your tips, they have helped to get me thinking. Mw is turning up shortly so I will also have a chat to her.

xx
    38wks today image
  • Options
    I was about to title this thread... Stool in Birth Pool? but thought better not to!! :lol: LMAO!:lol:

We did a test run to blow ours up the other day and I was surprised how deep it is. Firstly, I figure it would be easiest not to blow the top ring up until I get in as I worry I won't be able to lift my leg over to get in if Im near fully dilated??
    I'M ONLY 5FT TALL AND I DIN'T GET INTO THE POOL THE LAST TIME TIL I WAS 10CM AND READY TO PUSH! (not my choice!I was only in there 20mins before he was born. usally you can get in at about 6-7cm) BUT HAD NO PROBLEM GETTING IN!

Secondly, what Id like to know is whether you need to have a little step/low chair/stool to sit on when in the pool, as opposed to sitting on my butt with my legs stretched out flat. I thought I would prob sit on my knees and lean back for a bit, or lean forward with my arms over the side but will I need to sit down at all to rest my legs? I have practiced in the swimming pool at the gym but its always been on a step at the side... I know you arent supposed to get in to the birth pool til quite late so as not to slow things down but how long can I stay on my knees I wonder?
    I FOUND I DIDN'T NEED THE SEAT I FOUND IT MUCH BETTER TO SQUAT HOLDING ON TO THE SIDE(with my first i did this for about 8hr :lolimage

xx
  • Options
    Thanks Michelle..was hoping I would hear from you too!
    Well Im 5ft 7 so hopefully I should be able to get my leg over too then! My mw says i shouldnt have a problem...my hubby says he will get in and drag me in if he has to!!

Im impressed that you squatted for 8hrs! You must have had some good solid quads after that effort! Well done missy!

Right, I feel ready now... just need the little man to come!

thanks girls
    xx

38+2
  • Options
    I can't believe youv'e got less than 2 weeks left!
    Its so exciting! image
    It was not only my quads but my arms!! OMG i was squating with my back against the side and my arms drapped over the back. The next day i couldn't move!! LOL
    The moral of this story move sometimes even if you don't want to!!image
    I hope your little man comes for you soon!
    Did you grt some oils to burn?
    xx
  • Options
    I know we are both eccstatic! Stuck between wanting him to come NOW (well after I finish up work today :lol: ) and needing him to wait til next Sunday when my mum is arriving from oz as she doesnt want to miss it!
    But he will come when he is ready!!

Good tip! I think I will be forced to move around anyway as I have dodgy knees so cant stay squatting or cross legged (not that I will be doing the latter!) for really long periods, thankfully in the water isnt so bad as on dry land though.

Yep I have Jasmine and Rose Oils and my mws will bring round loads of other oils to use, depending on what they think I need at the time. Im leaving it all in their hands as they are fab. Already left me with a homeopathic kit from Ainsworths which is really good. Loaded with everything and anything I may need. Im so excited as this is all so new to me! And its so nice not to have any fear like some of the other girls unfortunately do. This forum section is great for that.

xx
    38+3
  • Options
    I think having "no fear" is half the battle!

Having thing like the oils and the homeopathic kit also helps to make you feel more in control and able to "plan" for a better birth which i think also helps control the fear of the unknown!

Best wishes to you and your dh. I hope all goes well and I look forwaed to reading your birthstory.
    xx
  • Options
    I think having "no fear" is half the battle!

I think it's 90% of the battle!!! People just cant believe you when you say you arent fearful and actually look forward to the birth. Im not lying, it's truly how I feel!!! :x

The only reason Im looking forward to the birth being over is so that I dont have to listen to all the negative comments anymore!! Even my MIL this morning on the phone (and every time she phones...) - has to remind me to enjoy our time together as a couple BECAUSE IT'S NEVER GOING TO BE THE SAME AGAIN.....NEVER!!!!!"
    Did it ever occur that maybe we are looking forward to it not being the same? Dont get me wrong, we are happy, and we have had a wonderful 7 years of it being just us, but our journey to get here to have this baby has been far from easy, so we want nothing more than for it to be us and a baby to start our family!!!

I digress...

Well I cant wait to post my BA on here in the next few weeks, no matter how it turns out. At least I am relaxed and calm going into it!!

xx
    38+4