Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Just wanted to say "Hi"

Thought I would come on here and introduce myself.

I am 36 weeks pregnant with my second baby and really hoping to have a home birth. I have wanted a home birth right from the beginning of my pregnancy but because I had blood pressure problems at 30 weeks in my first pregnancy I wasn't sure if I would be allowed one.

The good news is that this time round all is well and so the midwife is supposed to be dropping my home birth pack round next weekend and I finally feel that I can post on here which I was too scared to do before in case I tempted fate.

Just one question for any ladies on here with more experienced than me in these matters.....

...What is in a home birth pack?

I forgot to ask the midwife and really want to know. I'm guessing they don't leave you the gas and air to play with before d day ;\)

Will probably bob on here a bit now to ask more stupid questions but until then Bye for now

Wendy x

Replies

• Options
    hello ask away no questions are stupid!image

The homebirth pack is just things like incontinence pads Yellow medical waste bags medical scissors clamps for the cord etc most areas the midwife brings the G&A on the day but some do drop it round before.

Good luck for your homebirth.
    xx
  • Options
    Hi Wendy.. so lovely that you can now feel you can post in here!! Im very excited for you that you can now have your home birth. I had mine with my first baby 16 days ago and it was the most amazing experience.

Beyond what Michelle has said, the birth pack should contain most things required by the mw's on the day - much of which they probably wont even use as a lot if precautionary. Mine didnt contain g&a and I can only presume they brought this with them on the day (it wasn't in my birth plan but I think they were to bring it just in case, but everything happened so fast I don't know!) My birth pack also contained some plastic absorbent type mats (sorry don't know what to call them - a bit like the Pampers disposable change mats!) which I put under me in the bed in case my waters broke. I also used them in the bed for about a week after the delivery while I was still bleeding.

The mws will bring additional kit (including the g&a image ) on the day - like the infant resuscitator kit (again, precautionary!).

xx
  • Options
    Good Luck mummypiglet, I am 35+2 and am hoping for a hb too. I had high bp in first pregnancy also and ended up being induced because of it. This time though it has so far been ok though (apart from one reading) and I have been using hypnobirthing techniques to try to keep it under control.