Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

home births and BMI

does anyone know if there is a maximum BMI on home births? im not pregnant..... yet, but was just wondering as for my last baby i had to go to the main hospital ond not the birthing centre as my bmi was 1 over the limit. i have lost weight since then so am hoping i might be able to maybe have a home birth. xx

Replies

• Options
    I was told i couldn't have my baby at the midwife unit as my BMI was too high (39) so i would have to go to hospital which i did not want to do so i opted for a homebirth instead. So yes you can have a home birth if you have a high BMI.
  • Options
    thats great!! thanks for that hun!! im dreading having to go where i had my LO so at leasat i would be able to have a home birth if i needed to, obviously as long as everything else went ok. xx
  • Options
    I got told I could not have a homebirth with my first if my BMI was over 35. In the end I ended up in hospital anyway because he was 6 weeks early. image But hopefully I can give birth in either birth centre or home the second time around.
  • Options
    well my bmi was 36 when i had my daughter but i know i am below that now, maybe 34/35, but i am determined to lose some more b4 i concieve so i can have the birth that i NEED~!! not want! dont get me wrong, if i had to go to the main hosp. i would, but i am willing to try anything to avoid it!! x