Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

37 Weeks and got my home birth kit

Well,I have finally reached my magic 37 weeks and MW dropped off home birth kit this morning. I have also got 2 shower curtains from cheapy shop on advice from MW. The tens machine arrived on Friday and the birthing ball is inflated. My pain relief plan involves paracetomol, tens, warm bath and gas and air (probably not all at once).

Can any of you ladies with previous experience of home birth let me know if I have forgotten anything.

Thanks

Wendy xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi, I assume you aren't having a pool so do you have plenty of old sheets to go over the top of your plastic curtains?

• Options
    hiya
    lots of old towels / blankets
    old duvet and cover (i taped black bin liners over it but under covers to make it waterproof) to snuggle into and protect sofas etc
    flannels to sponge you down with - someone told me about this but i never got chance to do it - my labour was so quick
    will you be having music/dvds/ candles to set the scene / distract you??
    your bag and baby bag packed in case? it's easier otlive out of the bag straight after even if you dont transfer in - everything in one place etc
    incontinence pads - tena are about 10 pounds for 30 from lloyds - great for taking the strain of the mess, lying on in bed before and after the birth ons ofas, changing little one on and helping you 'slide' rather than shuffle to help your sore bits
    lavender oil to add to your bath
    teat tree oil to put on your pads to help healing should you need stitches
    LAMP _ V BRIGHT in case you need stitches - ours wasnt bright enough and hubby had to hold it over midwifes shoulders - v yuk indeed - save yourself that expereince and go test your lamp lol!!! i thought mine would be fine!!
    plenty of black bags for things that need to be chucked afterwards!!
    wish you all the luck in the world - was the best thing i ever did!! feel free to email if you have questions!!
    jane xxx
  • Options
    hiya
    lots of old towels / blankets
    old duvet and cover (i taped black bin liners over it but under covers to make it waterproof) to snuggle into and protect sofas etc
    flannels to sponge you down with - someone told me about this but i never got chance to do it - my labour was so quick
    will you be having music/dvds/ candles to set the scene / distract you??
    your bag and baby bag packed in case? it's easier otlive out of the bag straight after even if you dont transfer in - everything in one place etc
    incontinence pads - tena are about 10 pounds for 30 from lloyds - great for taking the strain of the mess, lying on in bed before and after the birth ons ofas, changing little one on and helping you 'slide' rather than shuffle to help your sore bits
    lavender oil to add to your bath
    teat tree oil to put on your pads to help healing should you need stitches
    LAMP _ V BRIGHT in case you need stitches - ours wasnt bright enough and hubby had to hold it over midwifes shoulders - v yuk indeed - save yourself that expereince and go test your lamp lol!!! i thought mine would be fine!!
    plenty of black bags for things that need to be chucked afterwards!!
    wish you all the luck in the world - was the best thing i ever did!! feel free to email if you have questions!!
    jane xxx
  • Options
    Definately make sure you have lots and lots of towels - dark ones you can wash, or any that you can just throw away.

My labour came on at 6am and I hadnt eaten since 7pm the night before. All the food I had in my birth kit I didnt want to eat - I didnt want to eat anything as I progressed so fast (6.5hrs from start to finish). So they were force feeding me berry smoothies (you need sugars for your uterus to contract so you need energy). One great thing my mw had brought was energy tablets (glucose tablets). These were easy for me to chew/swallow quickly in between contractions and gave me the much needed boost.

Oh, and get yourself some drinking straws. You dont have the energy to hold on to a bottle (even a squeezy one) and forget drinking directly out of a cup.

Good luck and cant wait to hear how it all goes for you!

xx