Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Need a few answers please!

Hi,
I just got my bfp last week so it's very early days and i know i'm jumping the gun but i would love to have a homebirth! I had my son in hospital and it was really horrible. I have my Dr's app next week. Do i need to mention it to him or wait till i get booked in with the hospital?
I have said in the past to hubby that i would love to have a home water birth but he is a bit squimish, and i think he is just a bit scared of it happening at home! How do i get him to see a home birth is just as safe and a positive thing.
My first pregnancy was pretty much routine and i have no ailments or illness's so i can't see the hospital saying no, but i'm really worried they will do just that!

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev219prs__.png

Replies

• Options
    Hi babe, first of all............Congratulations!
    I spoke to my Midwife on my booking in appointment about a home birth as id had a not great first hospital birth. She did tell me to wait untill I next saw her after my scan and we would go into more detail then(which we did and I went on to have two amaizing home births after!)
    You could mention it to the doc though as they may have info for you(not sure though)
    In regards to your OH, the best thing to do is take him with you to your appiontments/anti-natal sessions etc so that he can listen in on what the midwife says and ask any questions regarding what/when/how things will happen.
    My Hubby was very unsure but once the pregnancy progressed and we made more plans and got the home ready he was SOOOOO excited I could hardly keep him still.
    I hope this helps,
    If you dont mind me saying............... Having a home birth was and still is the BEST thing I've ever done(nothing topped it yet!! lol!!) And hopefully in the New Year when we try for no'4 I get to have another one.xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    hi and congratulations!

I tried to have a homebirth with my lo (my first) who is now 4 months. I ended up transferring in, but still really glad I started at home, so I would definitely say go for it!

I would mention it when you see your GP, it won't to any harm to raise the idea as soon as possible. But you probably won't need to make a firm decision until a few weeks before you're due. (Btw, don't be put off if the GP tries to discourage you, some of them are anti-home births for no real reason. I didn't even tell mine I was planning it, just arranged it with the mws).

With your husband, I would find out whether there are any NCT homebirth groups in your area, they are supposed to be very good. And also check out

www.homebirth.org.uk which has lots of info.

As you say, homebirths are as safe as hospital as long as you are low risk. My hubby wasn't sure at first but came round to the idea because he understood that I would be much more relaxed at home. Also we had a home visit from a comunity mw beforehand, she went through all the pros and cons so we could decide for ourselves.

I hope your hospital is supportive and that you get the birth you want this time round!
  • Options
    Oh thanks girls, your great!!! Will have a look at that now and sit down with hubby for another chat. I'm sure he thinks i say it just to wind him up!

Cat xxx
  • Options
    Certainly mention it when u have 1st midwife appt but they may suggest waiting until 1st scan at least as they will b happier knowing there r no probs like low lying placenta etc (i know they can move but will involve extra scans towards end of pregnancy).

My last birth was a home birth, hubby there thru-out, as was my mum who was watching my other 4 kids!! As long as u r prepared for anything, inc poss transfer is needed then a home birth is really no different to any other....except u get to use ur own bath/shower afterwards and sleep in ur own bed too!! My birth story is in the labour/birth forum, titled 'almost a water birth'. Have a read image

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/dogdogadb20081124_-23_Nathan+is.png

[Modified by: MummyX5 on December 08, 2008 09:27 PM]

• Options
    Here's the link if u want to have a read.......

http://www.babyexpert.com/chatroom/topic/67713
  • Options
    Mummyx5- Thank you so much, your birth story is great!!! Many congratulations

Cat xxx