Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How to convince DH on homebirth?

Hi, G/C from planning,
I mentioned yesterday to my DH that when the time comes (whenever that will be!) to have a baby I wouldn't mind trying a home birth. He was less than enthusiastic about the idea saying that it WOULD be in the hospital because of any complications/ access to pain relief etc. I can see where he is coming from because I felt pretty much the same way. After I read up on it a bit I thought that if there were no problems in the pregnancy then why not? I hate the idea that he would be sent home and I would much rather be in the comfort of my own home waking up the neighbours lol!!

For those who have had or are having home births, how did you manage to bring your OH's round to the idea?
Also we are in quite a small flat, how much room do you need to fit a birthing pool in? I'm only 5"5 so not massively tall but love the idea of a water birth.

Thanks!

Replies

• Options
    hi plumduff
    i could have wrote the above story just over a year ago
    i always thought i wanted a homebirth if and when i had children so when hubby and i agreed to start trying i said i wanted him to give full consideration to a homebirth
    he said no, i fell pregnant and then spent many months trying to convince him, i did, i had my gorgeous baby girl at home, and he is now totally convinced about homebirths and would back me all the way with any more children, providing obvs there were no complications
    he even wrote a piece about th ebirth for our local homebirth group which i was invited along to talk at - its in a post lower down 'home birth story written by my hubby' many guys have read it and said it has really helped them to see things from a guys point of view, both just about birth and a homebirth
    we live in a two bed first floor flat and im about 5 5, we had a birth pool - one of the larger ones in the end but i surprised myself when i abs hated it during birth - i had a very quick labour - one of the advs of a homebirth - more relaxed and therefore more straightforward - and the water just didnt really help,
    but then i did it all on gas and air and 2 paracetamol
    there are a few of us on here that are supporters of homebirth having done it ourselves and we tend to be very vocal about it, int he same way that people who had horrendous births are quick to scare the living day lights out of anyone talking about labour and birth etc... we however are just trying to reassure people that birth can be positive and straightforward, and can be done at home

feel free to have a read of the story below and ask away on here if you have any questions at all
    we are all very good at 'popping in' regularly!!

good luck and have fun when you start tryingimage
    jane and baby grace 16 weeks xxx
  • Options
    Hello I'm one of the "vocal ones that pop in!image

I had my 4th waterbirth, 2nd homebirth nearly 7 months ago. (my story is on here) I am very pro homebirth (& pro waterbirth lol) and believe they are as safe (if not safer) than giving birth in hospital.
    That is not to say you should not got to hospital if the need arises!! Of course you should!! and the midwives that are with you are good at spotting problems very early and getting you to hospital!! but being at home you tend to feel more relaxed which helps to make an easier birth. (expecially 1st babies I had my 1st at home) Then when the birth is over you are left at home with you OH and new LO perfect!!
    As Jane "soon?" said being at home lessens your need for pain relief so you don't need to worry about having no accsess to drugs but again if you feel you Need/want more then you can decide to transfer to hospital at any time.

There is a really good website to look at
    www.homebirth.org.uk

Good luck and best wishes for the future!
    xx
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, i'll show this to DH and hope he comes round to it. If anyone ekse has any convincing arguments i'll be more than happy to take them! I looked at the homebirth website the other day, its really good!
  • Options
    Hi

Im another that pops in here... previously to seek advice / reassurance from the girls who had already experienced a home birth. I am now very proud to say Im one of them image . My son Brody is now 11 days old and my hubby and I had planned a home water birth. It ended up being in the bath tub as time did not really allow us to fill the pool and move me into it.

We only have a small 2 bed flat (a mere 46 sq metres!). We only needed to use the bathroom (fortunately we have a big bath!), the living room (had we used the pool! also I was straight on the sofa after the delivery - the mw's had lay down loads of disposable protective covers and dark towels), and then our bedroom where my hubby and I enjoyed a cuddle with our newborn straight afterwards. Oh and my mum was in the kitchen making me smoothies for energy!

The family time in our bed immediately afterwards was so enjoyable and definately my highlight. The highlight for my hubby was that he got to deliver our baby! The mw's stood back and he asked them to only intervene if necessary (which it wasn't). So they kept an eye on me and did everything in the background, only stepping in to monitor my BP and the fetal heart rate and visually check my dilation throughout my labour.

My story is on here too: http://www.babyexpert.com/chatroom/topic/145120

As soon? says.. your labour can be quicker as you are more relaxed - my total labour was only 6hrs 21min and my established labour 3hrs 21min!!

As michelle says... being at home does lessen the need for pain relief. I am a big wimp - cant even stand needles and often faint when I have to have them :x ... I gave birth without even a panadol! You can have gas and air at home though if you do need it. I found the water was enough pain relief for me.

Happy planning and I wish you all the best with your BFP.

xx