Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

new to homebirths

hi everyone, im due in march with my second baby and have been strongly advised to have a homebirth this time round, due to the quickness of my last labour (they basically don't think im going to make it to hospital on time). However, i know very little about homebirths and am quite anxious.
Im worried about all the little things like where in the house is best to deliver, how everything is cleaned up after etc. Do they leave everything to you? I cant imagine having the energy to clean up the mess from labour having just given birth.
Has anyone already been through a home labour and are able to give me some advice?
Thanks x

Replies

• Options
    Hi,

Afraid I can't help as new to this forum myself and looking forward to my first homebirth (hopefully). However have exactly the same questions as you so will be interested to read any answers.

I am due in 4 weeks time so if I get the homebirth i want i'll post on here and let you know what happened.

Wendy 36+1
  • Options
    hi jojo

to answer your questions

You can deliver anywhere you feel most comfortable. I had a birth pool in the lounge but i know ladies deliver in the bedroom, bath, and on the settee or on all fours on the floor in the lounge. So wherever you want.

As for the mess there really isn't that much. The midwife will bring a pampers/incontinance type pad that soaks up the waters etc and that and any other "waste" i.e the placenta- asuming you don't want to keep it :\) the midwife will take away with them. So the most "mess" really is washing up the cups from the tea they drinkimage

good luck for you homebirth, i hope all goes well and you don't deliver too fast:lol:

for any info look at www.homebirth.org.uk
    michelle x
  • Options
    Thanks Wendy, that'll be really helpful. I hope all goes well.
    And thanks for all info michelle, that's put my mind at ease alot. My midwife didn't give me alot of info last time i saw her. She probably thinks its too early to be thinking about.
    Im really not sure about a water birth, but was preferring to deliver in my living room, but everything id read had mentioned beds. So im glad now that im not restricted.
    Jojo x
  • Options
    Hi jojo,

congrats on your pregnancy!
    I gave birth to my little girl at home in September and she was my first baby.
    I planned to have a water birth but I ended up getting out and actually gave birth on the floor wedged between the pool and the sofa lol!
    So also if you decided you wanted to give birth in the lounge and then changed your mind during labour thats totally fine too!
    We had towels & plastic shower curtains (definately get lots of these!) covering the sofa and the floor around the birthing pool to protect them but really there is only mess where you actually give birth (unless waters go halfway through labour of course, mine didnt they went earlier in the day)

The midwife will usually do a home visit at between 36-37 wks and drop off a homebirth kit which is the stuff they'll need during the birth. My midwife also wanted to check out where they could make tea and toast if needed ha ha!

Im always excited when I hear someone is planning a homebirth as I cant recommend them enough and always rave about them on here lol!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    Sarah.x
  • Options
    aw thanks sarah. That sounded like a really happy experience. I am really excited about the home birth now. I was worried at the beginning because it wasnt something id considered, and i havent got a lot of choice about. But now im starting to find out more, im feeling alot more comfortable about the idea.
    i will add shower curtains to the list. Thanks. i hadnt thought of them.
    i will let you all know how it goes.
    Jojo x
  • Options
    I'm like Sarah and recommend it to everyone! I had baby 2 at home kneeling up against the arm of a sofa. I bought plastic sheeting from a DIY shop and used old towels... the midwives took it all away with them to dispose of.
    I was really gutted when my GP said I wouldn't be allowed one this time because of my age (41) but the midwife was totally supportive and said there is absolutely no reason why age would make a difference image