Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Home Birth

Hiya

I am pregnant with my 2nd child and although I had my 1st in hospital I am absolutely adament that I would like this baby at home.

Basically I was wondering how many of you have come up against objections from your mw/gp's. I have my 28 week appointment next week and plan on mentioning it then but I have got it into my head that they are going to be really awkward.

Any advice on how to approach it would be great, I have already done lots of research so I can be really confident about it, but feeling a little emotional they might batter me down if I don't have some further back up!

Thanks

Gem x

Replies

• Options
    Hi Gem,

I am only 17 weeks today and i like you am on my 2nd and am really hoping for a home birth. I mentioned this to my mw at booking in apt when i was 12wks. My midwife was lovely and spoke to the 'supervisor of midwives' apparently you need their permission. She has said ok provided consultant agrees, so i am booked in for a planned home birth. I have had no resistance the mw i have is so nice. Although obviously i have agreed if baby is in danger i will transfer. I havent seen gp regarding pregnancy.
    You must have reasons for wanting a home birth - more relaxed atmosphere, more comfortable for you or maybe you want you other child around? I found the whole experience horrible in hospital, amongst other things i was on monitor and drip and stuck flat on my back - which i have read is not the best position and more uncomfortable to give birth, left for 3 hours before able to have a bath, felt disgusting and never even offered so much as a drink, Went home on 6hr discharge. My husband was disgusted by my experience having attended 3 births previously of his other children and wanted to complain about the treatment i got.

Your reasons should be able to show why you have made a decision to have a home birth. As far as im aware you should not have resistance unless you or baby are at risk.
    Good luck you may be surprised.
  • Options
    Hi Gem,

The first midwife I saw was quite anti the idea. She seemed to want to dismiss all my reasons for wanting a home birth as not valid. However she wrote it down in my notes. I have since swapped to a new midwife who seems to be much happier with the idea. I asked her to talk me through all the different options, which she did and then I discussed it with hubby. Next time I saw her I explained what we had chosen and she was very supportive. She said that it was a shame that our local trust seem to be putting people off having home births as in the old days everyone used to do it! And that it was nicer to be in your own environment.

She did say that you will have a lot less pain relief, so you need to be prepared for that. However you can do things to move the labour on more quickly when you are at home that you wouldn't be able to do in hospital! Hot bath then sex I guess!!!!

From speaking to other people it seems that they generally happier to let people have second babies at home providing everything went smoothly with the first.

Good luck and stick to your guns!

Harry
  • Options
    i have asked about having a homebirth and this is my first. i've seen 2 different midwives and neither put up any objections at all, they said providing there are no complications there is no reason for me not to.
    good luck with your midwife too!

Jo 27+6
  • Options
    Hi it is absolutely your choice to have a home birth and well done for making a brilliant decision. I'm sure you will be fine especially as you have done research but it does sometimes depend on your midwife. Most community midwives work in the community because they like homebirths and are really positive but you do get the odd one who tries to put you off - if you get one who is negative about the idea then ask to swap as having a supportive midwife will make your experience all the better.
    If you have any problems go to the head of midwifery.
    I wanted a homebirth with all 3 of mine but only managed it with the 3rd (hung on until 14 days late with the first then had to be induced and had placenta previa with the 2nd who ended up a fairly quick labour although in hospital).
    I was warned by my great midwife that I would have some opposition wanting my 3rd at home as my first 2 were both forceps/ventouse deliveries and big babies and the supervisor of midwives was going to come to talk me out of it but my midwife convinced them that there was no point. I had the best labour and delivery, it was absolutely fantastic and I was so glad I had her at home as she was big and back to back so if I had been in hospital she would have been another forceps delivery but at home I pushed her out on my own with just the birthing pool for pain relief.
    Stand your ground and have the same amazing birth that I had!! xx