Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

my homebirth story

ell my baby Jacob Henry Charles put in an appearance 4 days early in the end - and I was convinced he'd be late! I had the home water birth I wanted though, so am really pleased.
My contractions started at about 6pm on Thursday, and I managed all night with having a bath, tens machine, etc. I wasn't expecting it to make me vomit - I started throwing up at about 2.30am and couldn't keep anything down after that.
A midwife came out at 10am on Friday, I was 2cm dilated so she left again and told me to keep going, so I managed all day with tens machine. A different midwife came back at about 7.30pm, who then stayed all Friday night. By 10pm I was 5-6cm dilated so she did a sweep to try and get things moving a bit faster, and I started walking up and down the stairs to try and help. Contractions did then get more painful and closer together and I got in the pool at about 12pm, and started on the gas and air at about 1.30pm. I was finally fully dilated at about 5am, and Jacob came out into the pool with one big push at 5.50am Saturday morning. I was exhausted after being awake for 48 hours, but so happy it all went smoothly and Jacob is absolutely perfect!

I am so glad I had a homebirth - I was comfortable and happy and felt completely in control the whole way through. The midwives were amazing - I actually had 4 of them at one point, the 2 planned for the birth, a student, and another one who had come to bring more gas and air! I doubt you often get 4 midwives fussing over you in hospital ;\) I would recommend a homebirth to anyone who feels it might be for them.

Jo

Replies

• Options
    Congratulations!! i can not wait for mine now. I just hope its a bit quicker than yours! you must have been shattered LOL
    xx 40+2
  • Options
    Congrats honey, welldone you image

K XXX
    http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev216pp___.png

• Options
    so glad you got ur homebirth hunni!!! i got to 8cms and then had to be transfered to hosp as isla had passed meconium, and it was classed as grade 3, so an ambulance was called!!! wasn't the birth i hoped for, but all that mattered is that isla was born safe and sound!!! am so pleased it worked out for you thou hun xxxx
  • Options
    Your homebirth sounded lovely - I am very jealous as I only got to 5cm before having to transfer in via blue light due to Ethan banging his head against my cervix and causing it to swell back up again! Mine was far from the idealic homebirth that I had planned but as Rachie said, at least he arrived safely and I have no regrets about any of my birth experience.

Congrats again!

• Options
    thanks everyone. I know I would have been happy to go to hospital too if needed - as you said the important thing is lo's safety. I was lucky that things went so smoothly for me really.