Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone had small gaps between births?

When I give birth for a 2nd time in May it will be around a year after the birth of my first.

My friend who happens to be a midwife is certain it will 'pop' out super quick cos my cervix will still be soft & this is the bit that takes it's time in the first stage of labour.

I'd love to know if anyone can prove this theory & tell me how their second births went.

My first one went well although it was 23 hours & I know all births are different but I'd still like to know what to expect! Will I be having it in the car or were your 2nd's just as long & painful?!

xxxx

Replies

• Options
    This isn't always the case. I had 9 1/2 years between 1 & 2 and my second labour was 4 hours and 13 months between 2 & 3 and my 3rd labour was 6 hours. They say your body is back to "normal" within 6 months of a birth so 12-13 months later or longer makes no difference BUT second labours are usally faster and easier any way

• Options
    10 months and 17 monthw between my older 3 and cant say just popped out. but i had short labours 9 hrs 1st, 2.5 hrs 2nd, 3rd i dont know as arrived late at the hospital to be monitored.
  • Options
    Hello my fellow Dim image

I had Theo and Lily 10 months apart and for me it was true but I'm not sure if it was because they were close together or not. I pushed for 5 hours with Theo and ended up being taken into theatre where he was delivered with forceps, he was 7lb 4oz so not huge but I'm only 5ft so he was big for me, he also had an enormous head! He was back to back. When I was in labour with Lily I was examined and found to only be 6cm, less than 10 minutes later I had this overwhelming urge to push and Lily was born in one push! She had been back to back but sort of turned at the last minute, she was only 6lb and her head was 10cm smaller than Theo's at birth so think it was more down to her position, weight and head circumferance than the small age gap. Esablished labour with Theo was 19 hours, 1hr with Lily!

xxx
  • Options
    Oh and Theo was my second baby, my eldest is Abby. The labour with her was absolutley horrendous, 47hrs from first contraction to her being born. She was also back to back and born in theatre with forceps and was 8lb so in theory my second labour was just as bad as my first but my third was lovely! Sorry!

xxx
  • Options
    Hmmm thanks pickles. I was at it 23 hours with Lily & pushed for 15 mins - all in all I'd say it was a great birth experience.

I guess i'm just hoping this is as good or if not better/shorter!