Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Daft question but.........

is there any way you can avoid doing a poo as you give birth? The reason I ask is that im considering a water birth, but obviously pooing would dirty the water. Is there anything that can be done to stop it? sorry for the gross question!

Replies

• Options
    Even though I didn't have a water birth I was really worried about this too!

They say one of the signs of labour is that your bowels become loose to 'make way' for the baby so this may happen & clear you out!

It didn't notice this happening but I didn't whoopsie during the birth either (thankgod).

How about regularly taking something natural like Fibogel around your due date?

As far as I know there is no poo-stopper on the market! (sorry!)

xx
  • Options
    Thanks that helps! x
  • Options
    I thought that they try to give you a suppository to make you go before birth if you haven't been recently, maybe that's something they used to do???
  • Options
    Hi,

I saw this up on the home page so thought I'd reply. With dd1 I had a water birth but, after eating an entire pineapple, I did have a clear out when contractions were starting which meant there was nothing left when I was in the wate. The waterbirth was stunnning and I'd recommend it to anyone. With my second baby I didn't have a clearout and didn't have time to get into the pool - I couldn't tell you whether I did or didn't poo to be honest.

This probably is not going to appeal to you but if you do end up poo-ing in the water they do have a sieve that they use to scoop it out and throw it away! Sounds delightful image but if it's going to happen it will do whether you're in the pool or on a bed. Believe me, you won't notice it at all by that point.

Good luck!
  • Options
    I was really worried about poo-ing and did poo about 6 times when pushing!!

I can honestly say, that although I was aware of the fact and kept apologising, I didn't care - I just wanted my baby out!!

And yep, about the pool, they have a kinda sieve that they scoop it out with!!

xx
  • Options
    hi i havent had a water birth, but i think i saw on a prog that they have a wee scoop to get it out, and they do it so discreetly you prob wouldnt notice.

with my first i had major diahprrea as contractions were startin. having a clear out can be a sign of labour starting, but i guess even if you did poo, the midwove have seen it all before and its no big deal for them.

it is your bum that you push down on so i guess its bound to happen, and there isnt much you can do about it.

but pls dont be soo scared of pooing that you dont push properly, just go with it lol.

laura, 33wks with no 3 xx
  • Options
    Ha ha this made me laugh!

What I did was getting into established labour I made sure I went to the toilet and tried to get everything out (sorry I know its gross!) and this worked as thankfully didn't go during labour!!

Good luck

Emma xx
  • Options
    This scares me so much too...

am so nervous about it.
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies! Roo - it keeps me awake at night! Despite everyone telling me that I just wont care when im in labour! x
  • Options
    Some midwives wont even tell you if you have pooped in labour hun. They have seen it all, good luck. xxx