Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Emergency, elective now vbac??

Hi all

I had an emergency section with my first after being induced and a long labour, with my second i was planning a vbac right up till 2 days over i saw my consultant who basicly said my baby was huge (my first was 9lb 1oz so was a bit worried about the size of no2) and that i had no chance of having it naturally and he had a slot in the morning so he would do me an elective the next day!!

At that stage i was so fed up i just said ok.

I was a bit miffed when my daughter was only 7lb 11oz and felt like i had been really pushed into it when i was in a vunerable state.

So now having baby no3 i am deffo all for a vbac, mainly due to the fact that with a 5 & 3 year old the recovery after a section is just too inconvenient!!

My midwife is all for it but saw my consultant this week (i am 20 wks) and she basically says its very uncommon for a vbac after 2 sections as the risks are too high!!

Am so confused dont want to put the baby or myself in danger but i really dont want another section!!

Has anyone got any good vbac stories that may reassure me please???

Sorry for the extra long post lol :?

Replies

• Options
    I dont have any advice personally but I do know a lady in Derby who runs lots of the NCT antenatal classes who had 3 babies c section then fought for a VBAC and ended up having a natural homebirth. She really fights for the rights of women wanting VBACs. Her name is Jenny, if you wanted to talk to her for advice. She also wrote a book about it. You could contact her through the NCT Belper/Derbyshire branch.

hope you get the VBAC you want.

xx
  • Options
    don't have any advice, but would be interested in replies...i've had an emcs, followed by elcs, and if we have anothe rbaby is most likely to be our last and think i might regret it if i don't try vbac and never get to experience it (but then i think i'd regret it if ended in emcs again)...i know my vbac lady this time kept syaing statistics at me that if i had an elcs this time i'm much less likely to have a succesful vbac next time (3rd baby) but she never said wouldn't be able to try, consultant was saying the same when trying to get me to hang on longer for vbac, but again never mentioned that they would be reluctant to let me try x
  • Options
    i was told by my consulatant that if this one (no2) ends up being a section if i go for a third it will have to be a section, so this is my only chance for a vbac, i think this is because of the increased risk of scar rupture, maybe you need them to expain the risks fully woth you so you can make an informed decision x
  • Options
    u might find these helpful

http://www.vbac.co.uk/stories/

http://www.caesarean.org.uk/FAQ.html

http://www.homebirth.org.uk/vba2c.htm

if i remember rightly the info my vbac consultant gave me said something like 0.05% risk of rupture for vbac increasing to soemhting like 0.12% for vba2c...but not sure if i'm rememberingt hat correctly??
  • Options
    oh and it's somehting like 77% succesful vbac but 63% for succesful vba2c
  • Options
    Hi

Thanks for all your replies

My best friend is a 3rd year student in midwifery and has just done an assesment in vbacs so she has done alot of research into it and the risks of rupture are very low, in the hospital where i will be going there has been 1 uterine rupture in the last 5 years and she had not even had any previous sections!! so it shows how rare it is.

Plus they dont go into the risks that having a section involves, which i can remember signing forms to say basically if they paralised or killed me they were not liable!!

I just think that with my friend and my midwife being all for vbac then my consultant was like it was out of the question it makes you confused!!!

Gonna have a good chat with the midwife and i think if the consultant wont be supportive i will just stop seeing her, it seems a waste of time to me anyway, they only do the same as the midwife does on her visits X