Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

had a 35 week scan yesterday and now worryed about given bith!

Hiya girls i had my 35+4 week scan yesterday and it was my last scan, i had 4 as i have a low bmi. everything was fine still haveing a baby girl but mi worryed as she is now weighing in at 6lb witch was what i gave birth at with my first, she is normal growth but she is looking at being a 7-8lb baby witch they said is big for my size. im worryed as my auntie gave birth to a 10lb 7oz baby boy in september witch i no is alot bigger then an 8 but my auntie is alot bigger then me and has 2 other kids, but he got stuck and they had to break his arm to get him out and he wasnt breathing it was so horroble for her she never wants to do it agen, hes fine now, but im really worryed as kyra was only exspected to be about 5lb and at 6 for she ripped me to peaces and tock ages to crown, she also cracked my tail bone witch was really painful for about six months after. i am only about 5ft and weigh about 7 stone and my bump looks massive on me its all up front, but will she be to big??

Im just worryed that she could get stuck and it all go really bad or if they offer me a c-section im worryed about haveing one as i hurd you cant do much after for a few weeks.

I just want some advice on what you all think would be best as im soo worryed, and i was so excited about giveing birth agen lol xx

Replies

• Options

Hi,Hayleigh.

When they measure your baby during a scan,it's based on measurements and it's a bit of a guesstimate,it's by no means accurate,and neither is guessing your baby's weight gain.They often wrong.If your baby's size is going to be a problem,your midwife  will be aware and if she's concerned would want you to have a section.

In my own experience,my first baby was stuck,he was an assisted delivery and lots of stitches.Turned out he had his hand on his head which made him the wrong shape to find his way out.My next three babies got bigger each time,and the births got easier not harder each time.My last two babies were both stuck,more because of position than size.The last one ended in a section.He was my biggest baby but not huge(9lb 4oz),he was just lying awkwardly and there were other issues with him being baby 7 that meant them doing a section.

If you do have a section,it is a worry,it is major surgery.You have to take things carefully after,you'll have to be careful,not picking up Kyra,for  6 weeks if possible.That was the hardest part for me,cos Matilda was only 14 months at the time,and I certainly didn't wait 6 weeks.I was pushing the tandem with three on board long before the six weeks were up too.As long as you take it slowly you do get over it,it's not going to make you an invalid,but you will need someone to help at first,especially with caring for your toddler.

Discuss your options with your midwife.She has your information and will be able to tell you what she thinks is best.

• Options

I was told I was having 9lb baby second time round after a 7lb first birth...she turned out to be 6lb 12 at two weeks overdue!!!

Don't take thier words on size as gospel, my best friend  was taken into hospital a week early cos she was measuring small and had a 7lb baby so honest don't worry. The more relaxed and in control you stay during labour the easier it'll be, just stay in control and just remember the beautiful little girl you'll have at the end...good luck

• Options
    try not to worry about the birth...everyone I know has had a different experience, and the bad ones especially can make you panic.  I'm normally a size 8-10...my first son weighed in at 9lb 5oz, and my second was 9lb 10oz....I worried about the size of my second baby, but there was nothing to worry about...the support from the midwives was brilliant.  Just remember to relax and listen...both to your body and to what the midwifes are saying...it will all be worth it! Good luck!
  • Options

my cousin had a 10lb baby girl last year and found because se was so relaxed she had a better birth than her whole anti natal class who all had smaller babies.  My little boy was said to be 9lb and my birth was going to be hours long instead i dilated in 4hours and birthed in half an hour to my 6lb baby boy. 

We were also told he looked to be down syndrum at an emergancy 34week scan...he was perfect. Take with a pinch of salt and enjoy your journey.

sam

• Options
    What did Hayleigh have?  Does anyone know?  She said in March she had only 5 weeks to go, but she hasn't been on since.  Does anyone know how she is?