Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How far in advance do you get your c sec date?

I haven't even seen my consultant yet (see her in 4 weeks at 20 weeks) but I am just curious, if I get my elcs, when can I expect to be given the date?

Thanks x

Replies

• Options
    they usually give u an appointment at 36weeks to book date, the elcs is usually done at 39weeks....i got my date at 38+5 and elcs was at 40+4...so just under two weeks, but up til then i'd been down for vbac, which is why it was so late x
  • Options
    Thanks wowbabies! I remember you saying on the other thread that it was quite a late decision for you. Thanks for the info! x
  • Options
    I am due for my VBAC appointment towards the end of April, then another appointment at the end of July to make "the decision". So am guessing they will give me a date then?

I had an elective last time due to my ds being footling breech and we had the section date confirmed at about 38ish weeks.

I found it very strange to be given an actual date for the birth when for the best part of 9 months I'd been pondering over when and where I would go into the labour... in the middle of the night... whilst driving a car... on the loo... etc etc!

• Options
    Thanks MrsSP. Looks like I am only a couple of weeks behind you so I'll be keeping my beady eye on you if that's okay! It IS a weird concept, isn't it? Thing is, I've made my mind up so can't wait to get the date (not that it makes much difference although it does mean my mum can book her flights to get her bum up to Scotland to look after DD!). For some reason, I thought you'd be booked in earlier but seems that's not the case x
  • Options
    iv been given a provisional date of 9th June when i will be 39wks, but will be given definate date at 37wks on 25th May very excited im working to the 9th as i had my last 2 planned section at 39wks so i persume it will be the same possibly give or take a day. xxx
  • Options
    No problem KayeCee, lets keep tabs on each other!! My appointment sounds like it might be around the same time as yours so it would be nice to share thoughts on what they say.

How come you are having a section this time round? Have you definitely made your mind up for sure? I THINK I have, dont want to change my mind - am a bit worried I might waver at after the vbac app. What do you think?

I must admit, one of the reasons I am desperate to know when it will be is the same as you! I want to be able to book my mum in to look after ds!!

Anyway,
  • Options
    i see the consultant again at 36 weeks where she said i would be booked in for a beaking of waters or section when i am 10 days over so i presume you would get a date then?
  • Options
    Thanks all! MrsSP - I had an emcs with DD 30 hours after the first pessary (I only got to 8cms but they couldn't feel her head). The emcs was fine - a very positive experience and I didn't feel worried or scared or anything (guess that's what being off your head on pethidine does for you!). I was also really lucky in that my recovery was very smooth - I was up having a bath after 6 hours and then would've gone home next day if it wasn't for DD needed to be observed for 48 hours due to Strep B. The thing that has stuck with me is what a state I was in when she was (eventually!) born. Having not slept for 2 full nights and having been labouring for so long I was just a mess! I'm worried about that happening again.

To be honest though, my main reason (rightly or wrongly and it won't be one I'll be quoting to the consultant!) is childcare. We moved to Scotland last summer and we have nobody to look after DD (11 months now). And I do literally mean nobody I am not just being selective! If I were to go into spontaneous labour, the quickest my parents or parents in law would get here is 8 hours and that is jumping straight in the car! The thought of that happening really panics me as surely then I would have to labour alone (or have the csec alone if that was the case) as DH would need to be with DD. At least if I have a date booked in, we can plan accordingly.

I know what you mean about being swayed. I am a bit of a people pleaser and tend to go along with whatever's suggested so I need to stand strong! Part of me is sad that 2 sections means I would never be likely to experience a natural birth but I feel like my priority at the moment is doing what feels right for my little family as it stands now.

What about you? Can I be nosy and ask what your reasons are?

K x
  • Options
    Blimey MM! You must've had a busy few years!!! I hope your appts go okay - I'd be really interested to hear how you get on. Good luck! x
  • Options
    Hi KayeCee,

I think thats a really valid reason after what you went through 1st time, I think I would feel the same, there is so much more "control" in a c section in terms of knowing when it will happen.

My reasons, well I am only small height wise and my frame is petit, my hubby is big 6ft 3 and very broad and our little boy was pretty chunk, 9lbs. I have a feeling this will be another big baby and I might have trouble having her naturally, especially if I cant move around as much and am being monitored.

Also I have SPD, last time at the end it was so painful, I really dont like the thought of that adding to the labour pains.

I think really, its the thought of it probably ending in a section anyway, perhaps due to big baby or my SPD and then being totally exhausted by the labour before the section, then having to recover from both.

Plus, like you, its good to be able to know when things are going to happen to plan for ds.

I know exact;y what you mean though, I'm afriad of wanted to please or conform and go along with someone medically qualified telling me I should give it a go.

Depending on who I talk to, can already feel a faint disapproval of taking the "easy" route - which by the way I dont think IS an easy route... do you know what I mean?

When is your appointment by the way? Mine is the 26th April.

Its great to talk about this actually, all this stuff has been going round in my head. DH and I havent really talked much about it, although I know he'll go with whatever I want.

xxx
  • Options
    i have my consultant apt on mon when ill be 36weeks. Im presuming this is when they give me my date. Saw them at 15wks and they told me to think about vbac- even though i said i def wanted csec so suppose ill see what they say.

im hoping ill be strong and not take no for an answer.

I had pretty much same as u kayecee prolonged labour ending in emcs. I cant face another exhausting labour resulting in emcs as like u say u then have the labour to recover from aswell as the csec.

also easier to sort childcare out! x
  • Options
    MrsSP - You poor thing having SPD. I'm lucky in that I didn't have it with DD but I don't know how on earth you'd labour with the pain of that as well. I know what you mean about the slight disapproval although luckily my mw (even though I know it's not her decision) responded with something like 'I don't blame you for wanting a section' so I was pleasantly surprised by that. My appt is on 27th April so will be great to compare how things go.

Nic - Good luck for your appt today. I hope it goes to plan. It's shattering, isn't it? Having the csec and labour to contend with. Let us know how you get on if you can - I would be really interested to know what happens at your appt.

K x
  • Options
    had my consultant apt today and as soon as i saw it was the same consultant id spoke to the first time my heart sank as when i first saw her at 15wk i could tell she was very anti-csec. she did the usual midwife apt stuff ie blood pressure, urine test, heartbeat...... then she said right last time we spoke i asked u to go away and think about vbac. I said yeah ive thought about it and i want a section. She just looked at me and said yeah thats fine ill go book you in and off she went????????????

i was gobsmacked, didnt have to give any reasons or anything! was told they usually do it at 39wks which would be 28th april but because of all april bank holidays and because my ds's bday is 2nd May she decided on 3rd May.

Bit dissapointed as thought i would have an april bday but suppose its still only 4wks away and if i go into labour before i just go straight in and theyll still do a section.

had to have MRSA swabs done and sign a discalimer re risks.

theyve booked me in for a pre-assessment the wk before where they go through what will happen, pretty straight forward. Feels nice knowing when ill meet my bump.x
  • Options
    Ah Nic, that's fab! I'm so glad the appt went as you wanted it to. I must admit, I was expecting to have to rattle off a whole list of reasons and to really justify my choice! So not long until you meet your LO. And right near your DS's birthday too - every May Bank Holiday is going to be a real party in your house in future! x