Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Emergency and Planned Sections

Is it true that it is more painful to have an emergency section than a planned one? A couple of my friends think this is the case as in an emergency they are so much quicker to get baby out, cutting though tissues and nerves quicker and the scar being bigger too? I had an emergency section 4 years ago and was really really sore for a good week after and relied on painkillers quite heavily. I am having a planned section next week and people keep saying it will be better this time. I just wondered if anyone out there had experienced both? Thank you for any replies x

Replies

• Options
    I'll be interested to see what people think. I had an em section last time and was left so badly bruised the midwife thought I had an infection in my scar!!

Debating whether to go for Vbac this time or planned section.

Thanks for posting this gail1977 x x x
  • Options
    keeping an eye on this too!
  • Options
    The reason I was asking is I have had two friends, one had two planned sections and was so well with both and the other had an emergency and a planned and her planned went so well. I am hoping this is a good sign. My scar was bruised badly too but the three planned ones I have known have had no problems. I have my section Thursday, once I get home I will let you both know!image
  • Options
    I can only speak from personal experence but my EMCS was a longer recovery and more painful and i had 2 infections, iv then gone on to have 2 planned sections and my recoveries have got shorter and better, i have my final section planned for JUNE and hope this one follows suit. xxx
  • Options
    i've had an emcs and an elcs, the emcs wasn't too bad, but did get an infection (but that could be being fgirst cs u don't quite know how to look after urself properly)...elcs initially was more sore, but that could be because i refused the morphine, but i felt more well, but that could be because i hadn't laboured and had a concoction of pain relief duribg labour lol...i was definately up and about easier and quicker with elcs though, and from 4weeks postnatal had to remind myself not to overdo it as i felt almost normal and was itching to hoover, although resisted liftung/hoovering etc til 6weeks as didn't want to overdo it and be worse off...so in short, yes elcs recovery generally easier and quicker, but u should still take it super easy for 6weeks, as otherwise could be back to square one...hth xx
  • Options
    i had an elcs and loved it!

i had a spinal block instead of epidural so i could feel what was going on but no pain - very weird!

my scar is really neat and every MW or DR always comments how neat it is, which probably wouldnt b the case with emcs.

recovery has been really good. i had section thurs and was home saturday. i was able to walk by the afternoon and have a shower by myself. i was on painkillers first day but then felt fine. breastfed fine afterwards too. i honestly cant recommend having elcs enough! image x
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone for their replies. My section is this Thursday and I would like to be home by the Saturday too, especially being Easter on Sunday and have a very excited little girl! Thanks again x
  • Options
    Best of luck for Thursday. I'd be really interested to see how you get on - I had an emcs last time and am hoping for an elective in Sept x
  • Options
    Good luck luv, hope all goes well if you have baby thursday then saturday will be day3 my hospital offer you to go home from day 3 and earlier and you nearly always have to discharge yourself so you should be ok if all goes smoothly which im sure it will do. good luck for you and your new baby. xx
  • Options
    good luck! saturday should be fine for u to go home, for an elcs it's usually day2 that u get discharged (all being well), and day 0 being the thursday/date of cs...i had my elcs on the monday morning and was home just after wednesday lunch (would've been sooner as they discharged me at 11am but i couldn't get a lift home til 2pm!)... hope all goes well xx
  • Options
    good luck honey x
  • Options
    Hi everyone! Just thought I would let everyone know I had the baby! They were taking me in on Thursday but changed it to Wednesday. I had the op on Wednesday and got home on the Saturday. All the other women in my bay had electives and had positive experiences. However I never got to find out if emergency versus planned was better as my planned turned in to an emergency. I had scar tissue from my previous surgery and was very bad. I bled heavily, had infusions put up, two drains left in and was told if I didn't stop bleeding within a few hours I would need to go back in for an emergency hysterectomy. Very scary indeed. Luckily I did stop bleeding but the experience was awful and the healing process a lot slower than with my emergency. I was told by the consultant not to have any more as the next section would almost result in a hysterectomy and also I was a high risk of dying. Very scary indeed.

However all the bad aside resulted in a beautiful baby girl, who weighed 6lb14 and a half ounces and we've named Annabelle Grace. She was born healthy and came to no harm from all that happened to me!

So, unfortunately for those of you who like me wondered whether a planned was better than an emergency, I can't tell you!
  • Options
    i had a emeregency section 4 and half years ago, i was put to sleep aswell but i found recovery really good and within 12 hours was up walking and showered, i di have a infection in scar this wasnt painful, just not nice to have,

i had a planned c section 7 weeks ago although this was a much better experience being awake i found it took me longer to move around and i had more pain, for a few days,

i had a spinal, and didnt feel a thing only pressue as they pushed top of my stomach.

i also had a really bad back low down and found it hard to walk,sleep and sit, dont know the cause of this but in about 3 days it was gone.

i know have a beautiful little boy, and it was so much nicer seeing him be born, as i missed my little girl.

wishing you all good luck for your sections and babies.
  • Options
    Congratulations Suzanne! Hope all goes well and I am sure it will! Hope all goes well with the growth scan too x
  • Options
    Congratulations, what a pretty name image

I just want to add I had an EMCS 2 years ago and it was a positive experience, I was up and about the next day and my scar is so neat. I didnt have any real pain and I recovered quickly. I suppose they are all differnt.x
  • Options
    Sorry posted in the wrong place! Congratulations on baby image
  • Options
    Mrsmcsweeney, sorry you had such an awful experience, make mine seem less awful, i had my son 3 years ago after many mc, i got as far as labour, was in agony but only 1 cm dilated so they told me to go home, after an hour at home my hubby took me back, i had started vomiting with the pain and couldn't stand up, they gave me gas and air, which ran out after half hour, and told me they would be back later to see if i was any further dilated, after an hour my waters went, i buzzed to tell them but they took 30 mins to answer the buzzer. turned out that my son had poo'd and there was meconium, so they transferred me to high risk, attached a monitor to find his heart rate was only 40, by this time i was crying thinking i made it so far and now i was gonna lose him, as fast as they could get the monitor off they were wheeling me into theatre telling me that he was coming out by section now, there was no time to wait. thats when everything suddenly went real calm. everyone kicked into action all the medical team were there and within 10 mins he was out and absolutely fine. that was saturday morning i went home monday afternoon just got on with life, the after care was wonderful, and i recovered physically with no great problems i was driving 4 weeks later. however it has affected me with pnd and now worry over what will happen this time, waiting for my vbac clinic appointment so i can express my concerns but think i will push for a section this time, not sure i can take that again. x