Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Being Induced on Monday, need to know what involves.

imageHi All,
I was due my baby on the 2nd Aug 2010 and it is now the 13th Aug 2010 and I have had another sweep done yesturday and I am booked to go into the Hospital and be induced on Monday 16th Aug 2010, but the trouble is I am getting a little scared as I have heard some bad things on the internet about being induced and wanted to know what it involves as my husband and I don't know much about it as we haven't had much information on it.
Can anyone tell me what they do and what to expect as I'm getting worried.
Also how long do you have to stay in hospital after you have had it done as I have a 3 year old boy who at the moment is very clingy to me and dosen't like me being away from him for a long time. He will be staying with his nanny whilst I'm in the hospital on Monday but I just to know how long it usual takes and if you can go home in a couple of days as I want to get back into my own home and get used to things in my own surroundings, also can my husband stay for the whole thing as I don't want to be on my own without him as he will be explaining it to me as I'm not good at understanding things very well
If you have any information on this please get in touch before Monday as I am getting worried and not looking forward to it.
Thanks
Tibbs

Replies

• Options

Tibbs don't panic x I was induced however sadly didn't work,but that's another story! It was basically a pessary inserted,and left to work,then another hours later.....I then had a drip with drugs to speed it up,but ended with section.

I wont lie,it's a little uncomfortable,but nothing to worry about,serious hun x My friend who was induced had her first 6hours later! Please don't worry,try and relax as best you can,discomfort is all you will endure. Good luck for the birth x x

• Options

Hello,

I was induced, as above it started with a pessary, then if that doesnt work they break your waters if that is possible and if that doesnt work they give you a hormone drip to make you contract.

The NCt antenatal classes I went to told me a lot of women opt of an epidural at the point of the drip as it can bring contractions on more quickly than a natural labour. In theory a natural labour allows your body to build up resistance to the pain to a degree as it starts of slow and not too bad and increases with time however an induction can make things happen very quickly and you dont get the slow build up.

I dont think you have to stay in hospital any longer than with starting labour on your own,however i ended up in four days as i had some kind of infection.    

I thought the pessary gave me a lot of pain - the midwife said i wasnt even in labour and i was very uncomfy , but a work colleague has had two inductions and needed no pain relief apart from warm bath so like any labour it varies woman to woman.

Try not to worry too much (easier said than done)   I am sure it will be fine, you may even go into labour before they have to start you off.... hopefully tonight will be the night for you!!!

Good Luck with everything.

• Options

hi . I'm probably too late for you to read my reply, but I'll give it anyway.  I was induced with my 2nd and 4th babies.  The 2nd baby, I had quite a bad time, as I had the pessary pains, and thought I was in labour, so got loads of internals, which after I don't know how many, became very painful.  Then when the labour started, ( about 7 hours after the pessary) it went smoothly and was like a normal labour.

With my 4th baby. I was also induced, but they did gel this time instead of a pessary.  The did this in the morning, and my labour started at 9pm that evening, with me feeling fine in between.  The labour was so so easy, and my baby was born at 1.30am.   I could have came home on the same day, but with 3 children already at home, I opted to stay another night.

Good luch with your baby.

• Options
    Oh, i also forgot to say that I was not put onto the drip, and it just felt like a normal labour, and i only had gas and air.
  • Options

I was induced with my oldest, straight on the drip as they thought I was having very small contractions anyway-it really made them come on much stronger!  They also had to break my waters as they were bulging apparently, which intensified everything too!

The labour still lasted a very long time-they started the drip at 9am-it was another 16hours till he arrived by c section!  Went through all the pain relief too!