Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

C-Section and coping with toddler

Hi all,

I'm due at the end of January and as I'm type 1 diabetic and suffered with high blood pressure last pregnancy I am more likely to end up with a ceasarean than normal mums-to-be's. I was lucky last time as managed to push him out with the help of forceps but feel that I probably won't be as lucky this time.

The thing that is worrying me is not being able to do much for 6 weeks, hubby going back to work after 2 and having a busy , nearly 3 year old to cope with. He has so much energy and is bouncing off the walls if he doesn't get to go outside, but I have no idea what i'm going to be able to do whilst recovering.

How long did it take you all to recover and be able to do things again? Also did any of you have other children to care for, and how did you cope? how did you explain to your children that you couldn't do certain things?

Also any tips on a quick and healthy recovery? Or tips on doing things without doing too much?

Replies

• Options
    Hi, I had a c-section with my first, and it took me about a week to feel normal. I had a quick recovery. But I didnt lift anything heavy or drive.

I am having another c-section, and I think it will be different as I have a toddler too. I have asked my mum to take some time off, and husband to take extra holidays.

Is it possible to get help? Or put your toddler in nursery for a few hours of the day?x
  • Options
    For the first ouple of weeks you are not meant to lift anything heavier than your baby, so you will definitely need help from your husband with your toddler.

By mid way through the 2nd week I think I was definitely a lot more mobile, but you won't be able to drive for 6 weeks, and for the first couple of weeks I wouldn't recommend too long walks either.

My friend was in the same position as you (and as I will be) and she organised for her paernts and in laws to take it in turns to help her out with nursery runs and childcare for the first few weeks.
  • Options
    I had a section with my dd and will be having another in January. I too am concerned about the impact it will have on my daughter but I have a good family and I will just have to ask for help! My DH works very long hours, and as its our own business paternity leave is a no no so will have to turn to my mum and MIL.

It took me about a week to feel 'normal' and I drove after 2 weeks, but I couldn't push the pram for at least a month. Its not an easy operation and recovery can be tough but with lots of support I'm sure you will be fine ximage
  • Options
    i has an emergency section with my first and as there was 18 months between my two i wanted a vabc, however we ended up with another emergency section due to distress.

i acctually found the second recovery much easier than the first as i had lots of complications with my first section, the first few days where hard but after a week i felt much easier and i was driving again by 4 weeks, the hardest thing for me was not being able to pick up my toddler which was hard to expalin to a 18 month old

i would definatly reccomend arnica post surgery, would they maybe induce you early?
  • Options
    I have had two and my last one I had a four year old. So not a toddler but still up and down etc. The only advice I can give is to keep up on your painkillers, i could feel mine wearing off every few hours but as long as I kept on top of them I was able to do more. Your body is pretty amazing at healing but not if you push through it, just ask for help as much as you can, you wont be bed bound for the whole 6 weeks. When hubby goes bk to work after 2 weeks youll be confident to get up and go just take it easy, get lots of bits for LO to do in the house while you rest on sofa, little things like prepare food while your up, get all toys out before you rest, just think a few steps ahead and youll be able to rest for longer periods. xx
  • Options
    I'll be honest, I didn't feel right for weeks after my section with DD, and about three months to feel totally back to normal. I'm hoping for a VBAC this time round, although I have heard from lots of people that second and subsequent sections are much, much easier to recover from - I suspect as you know what and what not to do. x