Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Wbac?

Hi!i was just wondering if anyone has had a water birth vbac? I have had one successful vbac 2 years ago and am planning another for my 3rd baby due in June. I'd like to push for a water birth of possible or at east the option of labouring in water and just wondered how common this is? It wasn't allowed at the hospital I had DD2 in as they had separate mw led and consultant led sections but the hospitalmim booked into this time is fully consultant led so I see no reason not to be allowed in the pool other tha unsupportive staff/policies.

I'd be very interested in other peoples experiences xx

Replies

• Options
    I asked my friend who is a midwife (obviously dont have experience of vbac as you know) she said as you have had a successful vbac already she wouldnt see any problems in you going for a water birth, however she also said that the pool on her consultant unit has only been used a couple of times in the last year, I think when you have had previous problems some staff are less willing to let you try, especially if you need continuous monitoring (though there is equipment to be able to do this under water but think its quite expensive and maybe not be availabe in all nhs hospitals and trusts) I guess the best option would be to discuss the options with your consultant and see what the hospital policies are. before my labour went wrong I was in the water and it was great good for helping the pains!Luc x
  • Options
    i went for a vabc with no2 and was allowed to try a waterbirth but sadly she was in distress so didnt get to go in, i would think as you have already had a successful one i dont see a problem
  • Options
    You can have what you want! There is no research to suggest that you are any more likely to suffer complications than other labouring women! There is an added complication of scar rupture but there is less chance of this than placental abruption which could happen to any woman! I recommend a quick google search. You'll find lots of info to arm yourself with before seeing your consultant!

Good luck!

xx
  • Options
    You can have what you want! There is no research to suggest that you are any more likely to suffer complications than other labouring women! There is an added complication of scar rupture but there is less chance of this than placental abruption which could happen to any woman! I recommend a quick google search. You'll find lots of info to arm yourself with before seeing your consultant!

Good luck!

xx
  • Options
    Thanks everyone - sorry for the belated response! I laboured in water with my first before it went wrong and loved it so would really love to have an attempt at a water birth again. Consultant appointment is on8th May so fingers crossed they're open to it!