Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

HELP!! Advice needed contractions started and leaking

Im the most confused person in the world right now. Dont even know how to tell my story but here goes....

I travelled with my DH to visit family in Africa, Nigeria to be precise and the only worry we had was for malaria and food poisoning. I got some vaccine shots thphoid and hep a and thot we were good to go.

Aside from the heat i kept myself very well hydrated and one day noticed i had some discharge....thot it was just d normal leucorrehea but noticed my belly looked smaller. I went for a scan and was told my liquor level was low....coincedentally the next day...which was a day b4 we were to return home i had a big leak that wet my dress like i had peed on my body...was rushed to a hospital and have been on bed rest five days now...yeah, cldnt make d flight. Now the problem is they say(the hospital) that they cant assure me if i deliver if my baby will survive as their facilities can only guarantee  a 50/50 chance of survival for a baby over 28weeks.... image

Been on antibiotics and iv fluids throughout my stay here, I was given steriod shots 2days ago bcos i started contracting and was told id dilated abt 2-3 cms but for last two days no contractions so far iv been stable.

We cant afford the bills for the hospital here as its meant to be one of the best but facilities are still poor and outrageously expensive, so far for room and board with iv fliuds and the lung devpt shot we've spent close to 5000GBPimage. Thats all our savings

Im seriously considering taking the nefediprine / subatomol tabs 1st thing in d morning catching d 8:45am flight which last 6hrs and and heading straight for the hospital as soon as I land.

Just want to know if anyone out there has a similar experience or some advice for me.

Replies

• Options
    Didn't want to read and run, sorry no experience of this but wishing you & your baby all the best. Hope you are able to make it home to a hospital in the uk x
  • Options

what a terrible position to be in! hard to know what to advise, in the UK they would want you on bed rest as your babies chances dont rise significantly until the 26 week mark...but i see your dilemma that staying put looks grim, if even at 28 weeks the chances are 50/50. a flight is stressful though. i think i would probably risk it though on balance as there is nothing to loose and a lot to gain if you manage to get home. so sorry you are facing this. could you sit down wherever possible, get a fire exit seat and recline it etc? get picked up immediately at the other end, no waiitng around, with your oh getting the luggage etc?

If you're honest with the flight company i very much doubt they'd let you fly.x

• Options
    Does your holiday insurance not cover the cost of care? Hope everything works out ok xx
  • Options

Have you been in contact with your midwife back home? They'll have the best advice. Hope all goes well.

xxx

• Options

Thanx for all the advice. lost my baby girl yesterday at about 3pm.  

• Options

am so, so sorry to hear about the loss of your little girl. Im sure it's no comfort at all, but nothing you did in travelling to africa made any difference, at 23 weeks the same thing would have happened back home.

So sorry once again xxx

• Options
    So so sorry to hear this. Hope you and your oh can stay strong and look after each other. Another angel in heaven looking down on us all. X
  • Options

hi verahlee im sure you wont have even thought of coming on here, but have been thinking about you, are you home now? x

• Options

Hello Alfie222, Thanks for the thought.  Im actually still in d hospital had a DVT that progressed into a pulmonary embolism and cldnt sleep or breathe for 2days.... was rushed back to the hospital and was put on oxygen, antibiotics and anticoagulants...... today as i write...was given the all clear and would start coming in as an out patient for 1 more week  of injections and off home on the 20th of this month June...

It has been quite an experience and all I can say was how i lived is a miracle...and thank God for sparing my life...! So Happy and grateful to be alive.

• Options

oh verahlee! Have they given you any reason for all of this happening at once? Sounds like you have been extremely sick, im glad you've been given the life saving treatment you needed.

Can not even begin to imagine what you've been through, you must be hurting so much for your little girl and must feel very tired and fragile.

I hope you feel a little better for getting home. Sounds like you are an amazingly strong woman to feel so positive and hopefully that will get you better quicker. Life is not always fair but as you say you've been handed a miracle that you've survived and im sure thats for a very good reason. big hug xx