Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Has anyone used or no about Witch Hazel?

Hi As some of you no my stitchings from my vaginal cut has opened and is so sore i can not do much. Midwife reckons 3-4 weeks to heel but ive seen on google it can take way longer!! Ive heard Witch Hazel is meant to be good and helps to heel? Does anyone no if this is true? As im up for giving anything ago. I just want it to start getting better. Also how do you even apply it?! Im making another app for the doctors tomorrow as my antibiotics run out today and they havent helped at all so im hoping they can give me some others or some other sort of pain relief x

Replies

• Options
    Hi Haleigh

I used witch hazel when I had an episiotomy with dd and it got infected (nothing like your's).

I used it in the bath with tea tree oil and also dabbed it on it's own on to sanitary towels. I also put the pads in the freezer for 10mins prior to applying to give a little soothing action.

It did help but I was also on antibiotics and pain killers. I can imagine it will take 3-4 weeks. I hope it gets better soon.

Gp
  • Options
    Did the pads not end up going damp when you took them out the freezer?

Its doing my head in keep having to go in the shower for a wee! Having to dry the area with a hair dryer as well on cool but i don't no if i should be. Some sites say do and some say don't. I don't no if she meant 3-4 weeks starting from now or that I'm in the second week. Should have asked but didn't cross my mind at that point.

I tried the milk with lavender oil like another midwife suggested but i didn't like the after smell x
  • Options
    I had an episiotomy and 3rd degree tear that needed repair in theatre after my first daughter. This may sound a bit brutal but a friend said she'd used liquid savlon diluted in a bath. I found some liquid savlon in the medicine area at the supermarket that even had maternity instructions on the back! I had a quick bath with it in every morning and night and I had really good healing. 2nd time around I used a hair dryer on a section scar and it worked a treat.
  • Options
    No they didn't go soggy you only put a few dabs on the area that will cover the eound di don't soak it.