Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Partner in the delivery room can make pain of labour worse, say scientists. Your thoughts?

Hello

Every pregnant woman, as we're sure you know, is now encouraged to bring their baby's father with them into the delivery room during childbirth.

But new research now suggests that some fathers-to-be should probably steer clear of the labour ward because, actually, they could make the pain of childbirth worse.

Apparently, if your relationship with your partner (or the baby's father, if he or she is no longer your partner) is not 'emotionally close' or if you don't find it easy to be 'emotionally intimate' in general, then having your baby's father with you during labour can increase your labour pains, rather than decrease them.

'We recommend that health professionals ask their patients, rather than assume the kind of support they want,' the study's researchers said.

What do you think to this? 

Do you think having the baby's father with you during labour is helpful? Or would you prefer to go through labour on your own, in all honesty?

Please do let us know what you think by adding a post to this thread!

Replies

• Options

I would prefer to do it alone. I get very self-conscious and I know it's going to be at an all time high. But he'll probably be there because I would feel bad asking him not to.

• Options

I think it depends on your relationship. If it's a casual relationship where you've been caught pregnant by accident, then I can see how it would be a bit weird having the man in the room because you perhaps don't know them that well. But I'm married and have been with my husband for 13 years, we're best friends and go through everything together. I can't imagine him not being there.

At the birth of my son he was there for me and supported me, but was quiet and didn't interfere, which was perfect for me. He helped me through the pain rather than adding to it (he even had to work my Tens machine at the end because I couldn't figure it out in my morphine-induced haze and just threw it at him! image)

I think ladies should bring who they feel will support them fully into the delivery room, not who they feel they should have.

• Options

that's interesting, but no matter what i want him there with me! 

• Options

I guess if your relationship isn't great it won't help you but my husband was very helpful during both my labours. I planned a home birth for my son (born 3 months ago) & discussed aspects of it every step of the way so he knew exactly what I did & didn't want. He helped me to stay calm & reassured me that I could do it. There's no way I could've done it the way I wanted without him there.