Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Big baby induction?

Hello

My baby weighed 8lb 11oz last Monday (37+5), it's my first baby and all was going really well until the consultant said she'd prefer it if I was induced because the baby is off the charts big at this stage.She said I'm at increased risk of shoulder dystocia because of the baby's size, but all the research I've done says that inducing is more likely to cause shoulder dystocia, including literature from the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. 

Ultimately it's my decision if I'm induced next week (she recommended 38+6 to 39 weeks, so next Tuesday / Wednesday), but I really don't know what to do. I want to go into labour naturally, but don't want to do anything to hurt the baby, or me!

Has anyone any experience of a similar situation? Did anyone have sweeps that worked before the due date? I'm thinking of trying a couple of sweeps first next week.

Thanks x

Replies

• Options

Hi my best friend had a baby 2 weeks ago and the dr induced her because her baby was huge.  She ended up weighing 9lb 10oz. She was a week early.