Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Strep B positive

Hi, looking for people's experiences who have found out they are gbs positive. 

I am from UK (scotland) and it's not something routinely checked here but as I felt I may have thrush, Mw took a swab which showed gbs and no thrush. 

I know as soon as labour begins I have to phone labour suite and go into hospital and be started on IV antibiotics, which is fine.

My question really is how long were you in hospital after birth? I am trying to pack hospital bag and arrange childcare for my 4yo (it'll be my mum so it won't be too much hassle but of course less time we are apart the better!) I have put enough baby things for 2 days and OH can come home for others, this should be enough shouldn't it?

Also were you induced once labour began? I have read conflicting information regarding this but from what my Mw told me they like you to be as short a time possible between waters breaking and baby arriving as this reduces the chance of the baby being infected.

Any advice would be great thanks!

X

Replies

• Options

Anyone... lol

• Options

me again we seem to be helping each other out lol

as you know I have it to and when I saw the consultant yesterday I asked and she said 24 hrs after birth they will keep a closer eye on baby for any signs of it or temperature raise if everything fine after 24 hours then can be discharged and midwife will check baby on home visits. If they however do have any concerns they will be a longer stay and baby will be put on antibiotics. I defo know that I have to put on antibiotics as soon as labour starts consultant put it in my birth plan to stop any quiers On d day as some trusts don't give antibiotics. Luckily mine does she did also say not to panic to much if for any reason don't manage to have antibiotics in time because they will just monitor baby afterwards. Don't know if it was much help but hopefully there's someone here that's been through it that can give you more info on an actual experience x

• Options

Thanks nay! I feel like my Mw is useless. I seen her 3 weeks ago and asked for my swab result and it was only then she said oh yes tour gbs+. Put on my notes for antibiotics in labour then nothing else. So I feel a bit in dark.  Hospital on Saturday did a high and low swab to check again as they said they prefer to check between 35 and 37 weeks to see if active but I'll get antibiotics anyway. Noone had mentioned if baby would need etc. 

24 hours seems ages away from daughter but I know it's best for baby and my little one will be with her gran and can come in during visiting. 

I heard some health boards induce labours after antibiotics started to reduce risk to baby but can't find anything about it.

37w today and need to repack case as I washed it all. Feel unprepared now lol.

• Options

Yeah I know how you feel being away from my LO for 24 hrs seems ages too !   luck enough I managed to have a good midwife she says because they see also if GBS + to them it seems like nothing but to the Mum it seems a massive deal. im packing for 2 days just in case because my OH can always bring more stuff if needed. when I was speaking to consultant about  being induced to my SPD I did also mention being induced due to GBS and  said they won't induce due to GBS because theres a more likely chance of baby getting infected as as soon as waters break thats when baby can be exposed and because Inducing normally asked longer once  water she broke theres a slight higher risk. They do induce if waters have already broke Straight away rather than wait for labour to start if PROM so I suppose that's something. 

• Options

Maternity triage phoned me this morning with my weekend swab results etc and she said gbs+ is still active and have much better advice than community midwife. 

Basically when I know I am in labour phone triage. She said I don't need to go at first contraction but when they are regular I should be phoning in. She did say being a 2nd labour things can happen quicker and more spontaneously so better to be phoning early than waiting for waters to go. And that baby won't need antibiotics unless within the first 24hours they show signs of infection. But said I'd be in a minimum of 24hours after delivery.

So does seems similar over health boards. Need to sort case again today. Gonna iron to all cos it looks creased now that's it dry 😂 which seems silly but I blame nesting lol!

X

• Options

I thankfully got tested when I went into premature labour which was thankfully stopped and he arrived naturally! When I gave birth I had a drip before hand for a hour and my LO had a jab too x