Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

help! Terrified of giving birth

im 13 weeks preg, my first child and I’m absolutely Terrified of having to push out a baby 😱 I’ve been told there are many painkillers such as gas And air and epidural, but my Body struggles to process painkillers so they never work. Can someone please help me. I’m terrified 😭

Replies

• Options

I would suggest not only to discuss with your midwife, you may find having an appointment with an anaesthetist beninificial but also look into hypnobirthing.  I have t tried hypnobirthing but have heard many positive things about it 

• Options

I had an epidural despite being adamant I wasn’t having one and quite honestly it was the best thing I ever did, there are no prizes for not taking the pain relief! I would discuss it beforehand with the midwife/consultant if you are worried about how your body may react. I had a horrible reaction to pethadine but I was the perfect advert for a epidural.

and I know everyone will tell you this but I only gave birth 3 weeks ago and I’d do it all again in a second to have my daughter, she is worth the pain and a whole lot more! 

You can do this 💪🏻

• Options

I completely agree epidural is amazing you will defo not feel pain it is scary but there’s so many people there in case anything goes wrong you will never feel alone 

• Options

You can opt for a c section... I went through labour.. Had a failed epidural and then he got stressed and ended up with emergency section... Next baby I will choose a section because there's no way I'm going through all that again.. Gas and air is good but stops working if you use it to much, epidural was good till it the needle fell out... Don't worry your self about it, it's not good for the baby. 

• Options

Same here, few weeks in. Feel you :( I'm actually researching various methods like massages and breathe exercises and other similar stuff but to be honest they all look like a placebo to me.

So my only mental preparation right now is that I keep repeating myself if all these other women could ve done it... it can't be that hard. Ehm :D Not working :D

• Options

I have just had my baby 2 weeks ago and I was the same so scared.

the pain is different to any other pains you have and like you my body doesn’t process pain relief I have been on so many and non work. 

I used gas and air which did work up until I was 8cm dilated the Dia morphine did not help ease the pain at all. I then got the epidural and it worked a treat I was scared my body wouldn’t allow it to work but it did and the final stages of my labour were a breeze I couldn’t feel a thing. 

So I would say if you want the epidural as soon as you go into hospital to give birth say straight away as I did and had to wait 4 hours as the person who does this was in an emergency. 

Hope this helps ease you a bit because trust me if I can go through labour anyone can as I am the worlds worst for pain. 

• Options

Honestly it's a moment in time. The pain is not forever and if you have a good midwife and partner, they'll get you through it. I was told "keep your eye on the prize!" And it's true. I had a natural birth a few months ago, gas didn't work and baby was getting stressed so for me I just pushed the f out of everything and the pain was irrelevant. Also there was no time for hypno anything, nice music, oils, visualisation... Just do what your midwidm tells you. You'll be in no mind to think for yourself!

Trust in yourself and your body. It's an incredible thing. Also stop thinking about it. Just stay positive and relax. Go with the flow. I promise you'll be fine.

• Options

I would advise to book into some birth classes such to get as much information as possible. I found this made the idea of birth a lot less scarey and you can make an informed choice about what pain relief will be best for you. There are so many options and everyone is different. Hypo birthing is great and it and has and air is my plan for my second. It was for my first also but I felt the need to go for something stronger (remefentanil)  near the end due to complications but at least I knew what I was asking for and felt in control. if to you look into Positive Birth (there is a book and a Facebook page) it will give you great breathing techniques and help you towards a positive birth wether that be natural, gas/air, opioids, epidural or c-section. Your body, your baby, your choice xx