Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

High bmi

Hey guys I’ve got a high bmi think it’s around 42/44 I’m around 17 weeks pregnant and a few days,  Ive been reading different things about labour even though my bmi is high could there be a chance I could still have a natural birth ? I’ve been worrying cause my bmi is high thanks sadie x

Replies

• Options
    I have a high BMI (42 at time of booking) and I am 38+2 and approved for a water birth using the midwife birth centre 😊 as long as you have no other complications and you ask the question you should be fine, I did have to proactively ask the question and go for an assessment at the birth centre (all they did was check they could find the heartbeat and I was mobile enough for the pool) so see how you get on but definitely isn’t ruled out! 
  • Options
    Hi, my BMI is 40. Midwifes and consultants can be very rude about it so take your thick skin! I’ve had 3 natural births and am a few weeks off hopefully having my 4th. They won’t want to give you a c section unless there’s a reason (breech or emergency etc) as risks of infection are
    higher and spinal anaesthesia is more difficult to place. Also they won’t let you have a water
    birth because they think we are too fat to be able to quickly exit the pool if need be. It annoys me how narrow minded people are, I’m more agile than people I know who weigh 5/6 stone less than me! Stick to your guns and don’t be bullied into anything
    you aren’t happy with, you know your body x