Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

3rd degree tear had anyone given a normal birth afterwards??

HI. I GAVE BIRTH TO MY SON 2 YEARS AGO AND HAD A 3RD DEGREE TEAR , I WAS TOLD AT THAT TIME IT WOULD BE MORE LIKLEY I WOULD HAVE TO HAVE A C SECTION NEXT TIME , I AM NOW 15 WEEKS PREGNANT WITH MY 2ND BABY AND HAVE BEEN TO C THE CONSULTANT WHO TOLD BE BECAUSE I AM OK AND HAVE CONTROL OVER MY BOWELS AND WIND I COULD HAVE THE CHOICE OF HAVIN A C SECTION OR A VAGINAL DELIVERY THIS TIME , I OPTED FOR THE VAGINAL DELIVERY BUT HAVE SO FAR HEARD EVERYONE SAY IT WOULD B BEST TO GO FOR THE SECTION WITCH I AM NOT KEEN ON I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A VAGAINAL DELIVERY AGAIN BUT AM SCARED OF WHAT WILL HAPPEN WHEN I AM GIVIN BIRTH.

ANYONE BEEN THERE AND DONE IT PLEASE HELP ME OUT ,THANKS,

Replies

• Options
    Hi Denice

I had a third degree tear when i had Emilia and I am pregnant again. I saw my consultant back in May before I knew I was pregnant about the tear and he said there would no need to have a c-section or episiotomy if I got pregnant again. They had done a scan and everything has healed really well.

I am hoping to have a vaginal delivery this time as well. I see the consultant again 14/10

My mum had a third degree tear when she had me but with both my younger sisters she didn't tear at all.
  • Options
    I had a 3rd degree tear and both my h/v and gynocologist (sp?!!) said that if I got pregnant again, I could have a normal vaginal birth.
  • Options
    this is a really difficult one!!

i think you have to do what is right for you!!

if your baby was big for you last time, or if you had help delivering (ie forceps), then both these could have contributed to the extent of the tear.

if you did have a big one, see if you can be scanned for weight estimation towards the end. it isnt always accurate- and it will more than likely be the head that has done the damage, but if you think it helps with your decision on how to deliver, it may be worth asking.

if you had help delivering, more often than not, 2nd babies dont need any assistance

you could ask for an elective episiotomy, but there is no gaurantee this wont extend into a 3rd degree tear - i've seen this on a number of occasions, but usually with forceps / ventouse deliveries.

on the other hand, as others have said - you may not tear at all!! when i was a student midwife, i remember doing an episiotomy on a girl who'd had a 3rd degree tear previously. the consultant had written it in the notes, and then you would NOT challenge them , and you did as you were told!! from 1st pain, to delivery of the placenta was something like 52 mins, and i didnt get time to numb her, so had to do it without!! i dont think ive ever felt so sick as i did, and after, i was really annoyed, as i was convinced that she would have been intact!! and it was a bigger baby!!!

if you are happy to tyr, i'd say give it a go, but only if you are happy!
  • Options
    i had a 3rd degree tear and was in theatre for 45mins afta giving birth but i saw my consultant he checked etc and said he cant see y i couldnt have a normal delivery if i chose to have a 2nd child. but wondering how long after did ppl hurt? i still hurt going to the toilet plus having sexual intercourse. anyone help?anyone had the same?