Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

episiotomy trouble

hope you ladies dont think im gatecrashing but noticed some of you have also had troubles with stitches, my problems is LO is 12 days old and they have all fallen out and i have an infected hole!!!!!! when LO was 4 days old i noticed they were becoming sore, by the morning of day 6 there wasd a small hole and by the evening a large one anyway ended up down A&E who said they couldnt do anything but gave me anti biotics (which by the way im sure are causing colic for LO) had make an appiontment with day assesment unit the following day went to see them said they cant re stitch me until infection gone and it was only externat stitches gone not internal and to keep clean, dry and sit with legs together - did nobody tell them ive just had a bloody baby!!!!!!!!!!!! anyway got an appointment to go back on thursday 5 days after antibiotics finish, but since then im 99% sure internal ones have gone too as pain has comeback after going when antibiotics kicked it and feels very open downbelow (sorry tmi) any suggestions on what to do ladies do i call them to go back sooner ??????

Replies

• Options
    thank you so much for replying i too have been using shower to keep clean lol unfortunatly i dont have a bath so cant soak them, think il just hang it out unless it gets unbearable xxx
  • Options
    My stitches burst too and I had an infection but the hospital just said to leave it to heal naturally. I have to say that 10 months down the line I don't think I'll ever get back to normal. It's healed in a manner of speaking but NOT like it was before! I'll spare you all the details. I guess some of us just have to live with it. Functionally it's fine, it's just not aesthetically great.
  • Options
    well externally i seem to have healed but internally is a different matter but what has healed looks quite normal (sorry tmi lol) just hope inside heals just as well and soon i want some bedroom fun again and soon (again sorry tmi lol) xxx
  • Options
    It's s ahame you don't have a bath as the best thing, and I know they recommend tea tree or lavender oil now, but a salt bath was the best thing I ever did. After infected and burst stitches, 2 bottles of fancy oil a tub of saxa salt in my bath helped no end.
    Also Spedshaw is right, try to avoid the constipation at all costs. If you're bunged up your back passage aches and makes the pain even worse. A bottle of lactulose should do the trick. My first poo was the 2nd sorest thing I've ever done (giving birth was the 1st !!) S x
  • Options
    lol im quite lucky i dont seem to have constipation at the omoent although think i might be getting that way.... do you know if you can use lactolose while breast feeding? i did spend some time sat in an old baby bath soaking my stitches in salt water (it was quite a picture lol) but MW told me not to bother as it wouldnt help and when i asked her about lavander oil and tea tree oil i got told that she wouldnt advise me on anything like that (not the most helpful MW ive ever seen) but told me salt water baths wouldnt help and just flush with a jug of water every time i went to the toilet!!!
  • Options
    Really feel for you - I had a similar thing when I had my daughter nearly three years ago.

Like speedshaw said, I found the weeks after she was born worse than the birth itself - I could barely walk and sitting up to feed/going to the loo was just agony. I had three courses of antibiotics and various trips to the hospital to clear up 'the infection' which then gave me thrush which doesn't exactly help things down below.

In the end - this was after 4 months! - I went back to my doctor and got a referral to a private gynacologist (I'm lucky to have private healthcare with my job). He was amazing!! He said I hadn't had an infection but something called a granuloma (?! might not have remembered that correctly) which is where the wound never forms a proper scar - it just never dried out. The treatment involved chemically burning the unhealed area. The first time the gyno did this, he then said 'Is your husband a man of the world?...' so oh had to repeat the burning a couple of times at home!! image Anyway, was painful to do but no more so than having a no 2 had been and it really did the trick - finally I was able to get back to normal and even resume bedroom activities!

My advice - keep pestering the doctors - don't leave it as long as I did - and make sure they know how much it's affecting you - I tried to put on a brave face but wish I hadn't. Think if they'd've known how difficult it made everything things might have got sorted out sooner.

Have just had a little boy and this time things much better down below - stiches were uncomfortable for a few days and now (3 weeks later) almost healed. This really brings it home how bad things were the last time and how they should be if stiches heal properly (and I had a lot again - lo was 10lb 3oz!).

Hope things down below are back to 'normal' (or the new normal) soon.

Katie x

btw - doctor prescribed me some lactulose to get things moving and I'm breastfeeding. Don't be tempted to take a double dose though as I did - messy (sorry tmi)!!
  • Options
    lol ok il remember to stick to one dose hehe
    ive been to hospital this morning for check up and they say its healing nicely (do i trust them?) it doesn't hurt since ive had anti biotics just more alittle uncomfortable they have said if im worried again go see gp, and no sex until its healed they suggest i wait til after 6 week check!!!!!!! thats nearly a month away do they not realise its been along time and im a woman with needs lol xx
  • Options
    Hi,

I had an episiotomy with my son for a ventouse and forceps delivery. I was very fortunate and didn't have problems healing, but I just wanted to say that every time I had a wee I filled a washing up bowl with warm water, put a few drops of tea tree oil and some salt in it, put it on the loo lid, stood over it and splashed my bits with it. I then dried myself thoroughly by blotting gently with loo roll (I thought a towel could hold germs). I also washed the bowl out afterwards each time with warm water with tea tree oil and salt, to kill any germs. I think this may well have helped the healing, although I guess I must have been fortunate and been stitched up well too.

I'm glad you're feeling better, and I hope you're completely healed soon xx
  • Options
    I also had an episiotomy for a ventouse and forceps delivery. I took a while to heal as it was a really large cut. One thing that helped me was Aloe Vera Gel. I used to put loads on a sanitary towel and wear it as normal. It was the most comforting thing ever.
  • Options
    what i dont really understand is y i needed one in the first place yes she had the cord round her neck but she wasnt in distress as i had been on the monitor the whole time to keep an eye on her, and she was only 5lb 15oz hardly big, she was coming out fairly easily, i just dont really see y they couldnt leave me alone to do it myself i would ot be in this situation now!!!!! sorry if that sounds selfish i really am very thankful they got her out safely but im just not sure it was nessicery x
  • Options
    will i never bloody heal i think im getting an infection again but dont want to go to doctors and not have one and look like a pratt plus far to many people have seen my lady garden as it is i dont want to keep having people looking down there i want some dignity god damn it - any advise ladies
  • Options
    will i never bloody heal i think im getting an infection again but dont want to go to doctors and not have one and look like a pratt plus far to many people have seen my lady garden as it is i dont want to keep having people looking down there i want some dignity god damn it - any advise ladies
  • Options
    Oh no, poor you! :cry: I'm afraid I'm going to have to say that I think you should see a Dr - I can understand why you don't want too, you've been pulled around enough, but it could make things even worse if you do have an infection which needs antibiotics, which then gets a hold if you don't get seen. Please don't worry about them thinking you're being daft - you're definitely not, you know you're not healed yet, and they need to help you.

As a back-up the only thing I have experience of is rinsing after every time you go to the loo, with the tea tree and salt solution which I posted about before - I do believe it helped me. I know it's fiddly having to do that each time, but it sounds like you may need to do something a bit more extreme to finally knock this problem on the head - my midwife recommended the tea tree oil.

I'd only do the rinsing in addition to going to the Dr though, not instead of. I really hope you get this sorted soon, it must be horrible for you - please let us know how you get on xx
  • Options
    i know your right i do need to go to dr's i just want an end to it all, i have been soaking in tea tree the last few days and doing occassional rinse with salt water guess il have to step it up abit! thanks for replying niblet il let you know how it goes
  • Options
    Can I make a recomendation... sorry to gc, after my first daughter was born in Canada I was given a peri bottle, which I've never seen here in UK, but it was wonderful. During and after you wee use a sports drink bottle to pour warm ish water to ease any burning and to help cleanse the area. Might be a bit late for it, as I found it was great in the first few days but it was a great product. Do go see you gp if you are concerned, that's what they are there for, even if they aren't keen about it, they picked the career image. Hope you heal quickly

xx
  • Options
    well i have been to doctors today and saw a nurse who said it doesnt look infected but gave me antibiotics just incase as its the weekend coming up but did say i had retorn some of the scar where i was constipated and i think i may have just done further damage so il have to step up the lactolose abit i think to the full recommended dosage she also suggested aloe vera gel or evening primrose oil rubbed in to help soften the scar but tbh the eve pri oil stung like mad!!!!
  • Options
    Ouch, that sounds seriously painful! :cry: I'm glad you've been seen, and you've got antibiotics just in case - even if you don't have one yet, it sounds like it'd be vulnerable to infection. Carry on with the rinsing if you can - it'd be good to use everything you can to get it to heal, as it seems v stubborn! I hope you mend v soon xx
  • Options
    me 2 its starting to annoy me now as each time it gets sore i seem to start bleeding heavier again and it seriously needs to stop now!
  • Options
    me 2 its starting to annoy me now as each time it gets sore i seem to start bleeding heavier again and it seriously needs to stop now!