Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Not traumatic labour but after-birth awful

I've just read a couple of the birth stories on the Hello thread and I feel like a bit of a fraud being here.

I have to say that I had a lovely labour; from the first twinge to delivering baby was a manageable 19 hours. I chose not to have an epidural and couldn't use entinox so I had a natural labour which was fine.

The problems started after Spencer was born: I'd followed the mw's instructions exactly when it came to pushing/not pushing and my LO was born in the normal position so I thought I'd come through labour with maybe just a little 1st deg tear which would heal by itself. When I was examined the mw thought I'd torn 2nd deg so got the anesthetic injection (owwww!), she left it a couple of mins to work. In that time I had an allergic reaction and one side of my labia swelled (mmm, nice!) but she decided to proceed with stitching. After a while the mw starts umming and ahhing, she announced that I'd actually torn 3rd deg and they needed a doc. I was left in stirrups for 20 mins while the doc came and gave me some more injections (owwww!) and began sewing some more. I also had a haematoma which they "hoped would be absorbed back into my body". I was in so much pain that I kept twitching and the doc got annoyed that I couldn't have entinox! It was then decided that I should have an epidural and go into theatre for repair. By this time I was so tired that I just went along with everything even though I hadn't even held my baby.
We had to wait longer for an anesthetist. The first epidural didn't work properly so I had another (injections into the spine are sooo lovely) and I was hooked up to a saline drip which was incorrectly fitted and inflated my lower arm with saline solution.

I was in theatre for 45 mins and finally got back to see my son and hubby a full 3 hours after giving birth. I lost 800ml blood and was seriously anemic for some time. When I tranfered to a recovery unit I was told that my swelling, bruising and grazing was "spectacular" and I literally couldn't sit down for nearly 3 weeks. Thank goodness that my tear was really neatly sewn back together again and I haven't suffered any repercussions from that.

Thanks for reading
Liz x

Replies

• Options
    wow!!! How are you now ??? that sounds awful , to have had such a good birth to enduring all that you did after!?! with my last one i had an emergancy cs which was ok but i had a serious blood loss after (2100 ml) and ended up being totally out of it for 24 hours lying under a big tinfiol thing to stay warm and then having a blood transfusion. I was not able to hold my baby because i had a drip in that had been put in wrong so my hand was swollen and was unable to feed because of the blood loss. xxx