Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

High Wycombe Birthing Centre?

Hi,
I'm booked in to have my baby at the birthing centre in Wycombe and was just wondering if anyone has been there since it changed earlier this year?
I keep hearing about how lovely Stoke Mandeville is and now i worry that i've made the wrong choice.

Thanks

Replies

• Options
    Don't know much about the new High Wycombe centre but absolutely loved the ISIS unit at Wexham. Where exactly are you? Have a look round both and see which appeals to you the most.

H xx
  • Options
    I delivered at Stoke Mandeville in Dec and had a really positive experience. The newly re-furbed labour suites are AMAZING: full ensuite, thermostat control, windows.
    Like blondefriend said, have a tour around the facilites.

Liz x
  • Options
    My daughter was born in July, so shortly before Wycombe changed. I'm not 100% sure what the changes mean in terms of pain relief (I wanted g&a and water, but ended up with pethedine) si for my next one I would have to find that out before committing to Wycombe over Stoke or Wexham.

In terms of giving birth at Wycombe, I found it very positive. The MW who delivered Haiden was lovely and they wait for you to ask for more pain relief- they don't offer. They also kept to birth plan as best they could

I had originally decided on Wexham, but when we toured H2B wasn't too keen as he thought it was grubby. Also, each labour room at Wycome has an en suite and air con which Wexham doesn't

I have a friend who used Stoke after the refurb and she said it was lovely. Something to bear in mind is that her MW told her it was against policy to break the waters so her LO was born in her sac. At Wycombe they broke my waters for me, which I was told cut my labour time by an hour

After I had Haiden, I know they cancelled the tours due to Swine Flu. They also limited people round the bed to one!!!! I'm not sure if they have changed this back yet

All in all, next time, even though I wouldn't want to resort to having pethedine again I would like to know it was available as a back up. If it was at Wycombe I would be happy to go back. If it wasn't I would seriously consider Stoke

Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for all your replies, i think i'm just gettign a bit jittery about the birth.

As Wycombe is just midwife led now i'm not sure if pethadine is possible, its something my midwife is checking out for me.
    I want a water birth so Wycombe is ideal for that.

I havent checked to see if they are allowing tours again but i've only got 1 week to go so may not bother.
  • Options
    Will you let me know about pain relief when you find out? Not expecting my second yet (a bit early for that!) but I would like to know

It's natural to be jittery about the birth, but you will get through it, and it will all be over. And then you will forget!!!

Good luck x
  • Options
    Thanks Kimmy,
    will let you know how it goes but i asked my midwife about pethadine and she said i would be able to have it at Wycombe depending on what stage i am when in labour.
  • Options
    Ah ha- that's me at Wycombe for the next one then!

Can I recommend, if you choose Wycombe, the cheese and tomato pasta is yummy!!
  • Options
    Hi Kimmy,
    You can definitely get pethadine at Wycombe. ?Unfortunately i ended up having to be transferred to Stoke Mandeville so didnt get to try any of the food there!

Wycombe were also very good with allowing me my husband and my mum when i was in labour. It was so quiet there that a couple of women came and went and then it was just me on the whole labour ward.

Very positive experience with both Wycombe and Stoke.
  • Options
    That's really good to hear- so you had your LO? Congratulations!
    How did you find the ambulance transfer? I had it once when I had an ectopic pregnancy and they took me to Stoke from Wycombe, but I don't remember much of it as it was 3:30 in the morning and I was so drugged up!
    Where do you live? x
  • Options
    Hi Kimmy,
    Yes had my little girl after a long labour. She was worth it though.

The ambulance ride was a bit hair raising as i had gone into Wycombe at 11pm on 5th and by lunchtime on 6th she still hadnt arrived as her head was twisted so wouldnt descend down any further and by the time the ambulance arrived i was fully dilated and said i may deliver in the ambulance.
    We set off with the sirens going at some speed so it was a bit rocky in the back and i had no pain relief so the contractions was intense. Made it to Stoke Mandeville though and had an epidural and they put me on syntocin to get my labour going and the baby to move into the correct position.
    It was good as i got to rest for an hour and a half before they said i could push. She was eventually born just after 6pm on the 6th.

I live in Prestwood so kind of in between the two hospitals.
  • Options
    Oh how scary! They are making a big thing about people giving birth in the ambulance, but I'm sure if the experts thought that it might happen they would keep you at Wycombe.

I live in Little Chalfont- I used to live in Prestwood about 3 years ago x
  • Options
    We dont live to far away from each other then. I used to live in Amersham before moving to Prestwood.

I am kind of forgetting the whole birth bit, its true you do forget the pain, i just remember it was very painful. Thankfully starting to feel a bit better and less beaten up now!
  • Options
    I went to a Midwifery open day at Stoke last week- wow it is lovely- so impressed! They even have nice wall art! You didn't get the room with the video camera did you?

Did you know there is a room in there called the Primrose Room, which has a double bed and sofa? Don't know what it's for! x
  • Options
    I have no idea about the video camera, i hope i didnt have it!

I didnt ever do a tour so didnt know what it was like. All i know was the wall was purple i think in the room i was in. Wish i had toured them both but never mind.
  • Options
    Have a proper look round next time (if you do have another!!). I hope they upgrade the postnatal ward at Stoke too as that just looks poo compared to the delivery suite x