Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My Birth Story

Hey girls,

If you want a little read here's my birth story:

Baby Macey Watkins arrived on Monday 6th August at 16:18pm weighing 6lb 14 1/2 ounzes and was 8 days overdue.

Had been having contractions from saturday night but they were very on and off so i just stayed at home and carried on not in alot of pain and this carried on sunday night as well. As you all probably were aware i was a week overdue that sunday and couldn't wait for the baby to come.

I had had no sleep from satuday night and was so fed up with getting up and down from bed everytime i had a contraction i felt the need for the toilet and my toilet is downstairs :x so i ended up just sitting downstairs growning away to myself whilst my partner had some sleep as i didnt want him to be tired as well! I ended up phoning the delivery suite about 11 and told them i wanted to know if i was in established labour and they asked me to come in to be examined :\) , when i arrived at the hospital i was examined and was only 2cm dilated and i thought oh no here we go this is going to be a long labour :\( , i was told to go home and rest (ha ha like i could do that) and wait until the contractions were too painfull or when they were abour 4-5 mins apart.

I had been booked in to see the consultant monday morning the 6th August to discuss yet another sweep and induction and at 6am in the morning i decided i was not going to go and sit in the waiting room while contracting so i phoned delivery suite again and was told to go in as i was in a bit more pain and i could be examined again. They had all the room ready for me and the midwife i saw the night before was still there and to my surprise i was 4cm dilated :\) yeh i was finally in labour. I started to think about pain relief and epidual and decided to wait until i was in alot more pain than i was before i needed anything so i decided to stick it out with nothing for the mean time and have something when i needed it i also managed to get a bit of sleep :\)

I cant remember much times as i wasnt really concentrating on the clock but a midwife came in and decided i needed some pain relief and she examined me and i was 6cm image so she gave me a shot of pethidene (WOW what amazing stuff) then about a few hours later i felt the urge to push so i asked my partner to go and get somebody so i could see how far i was (at this point my waters hadnt gone) so a male midwife came in and said i was 9cm which i was so shocked and he broke my waters. After only a small amount of time i was told by the midwife to push when i wanted (that was the hardest bit of labour) and about 3/4 hr later my baby's head came out (OUCH) and then 2 more contractions and she was placed on my tummy. I was soooo pleased to have a baby girl.

I was worried about having to go to theatre for stiches so kept asking about them. Had a midwife come in for the jab to bring the placenta quicker (didnt even feel it) and about 5 mins later i gave 1 small push and the placenta came out. I did infact have a tear but it was only 2nd degree so was given a local and stiched up on the bed.

I was so pleased with myself for only having 1 shot of pethidene through the hole experience and found labour was not as bad as i expected the worst part was the pushing but i would def have another one but only in about 5 years after i have got over maceys arrival. :\) I stayed in hospital until wednesday evening so i could get the breast feeding right and we are now at home just still getting settled in. I cant believe how hard it is i am sooooooo tired :\( and have been a bit tearful :cry: the past couple of nights but i supose that is expected. She is worth every min of it though.

So there's my story a bit long winded but hope you enjoyed the read. Better go before she wakes for her next feed.

Hope everyone else is well and there LO's

Take Care Kirsty and Baby Macey 5 days old. xx

Replies