Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone had a sweep?

Hi ladies
I saw the MW today and she tried to do a sweep and said my cervix is soft but is kind of backwards (or something like that) and is still closed so in my notes she wrote "unable to perform stretch and sweep today" so I assume that means she can only actually do a sweep if my cervix is open? Does anyone know if that makes sense? :\?
I'm feeling really disheartened because after lots of twinges in the last couple of weeks I was hoping today's sweep would get things moving but it sounds as though she couldn't even do the sweep.
If anyone has experience of this I would appreciate your input please. I've kind of got it in my head now that I'll be waiting at least another week for baby to come but I'm really disappointed (I know it's silly as baby will come eventually).
Thank you
xx
40 weeks today

Replies

• Options
    Hi I had a sweep at 41 weeks, my cervix was backwards like yours but i was dialated 3to4cm already. Yes your right she cant sweep unless your cervix is open.

Midwife told me to have sex, eat liqorice and pineapple and go on a walk. I did all of the above and Isabella was born the next morning.
    In my experience sex was the best thing (ive had 2 babies) after sex i would get regular contractions for hours which would then stop but when the time was right they didnt stop (if that makes sense).

I know how you feel, fed up and wanting to kill anyone that says baby will come when its ready (so im not going to say that to you haha) but your almost there and its sooo worth the wait. Look forward to hearing your BA!
  • Options
    Hi I had a sweep at 41 weeks, my cervix was backwards like yours but i was dialated 3to4cm already. Yes your right she cant sweep unless your cervix is open.

Midwife told me to have sex, eat liqorice and pineapple and go on a walk. I did all of the above and Isabella was born the next morning.
    In my experience sex was the best thing (ive had 2 babies) after sex i would get regular contractions for hours which would then stop but when the time was right they didnt stop (if that makes sense).

I know how you feel, fed up and wanting to kill anyone that says baby will come when its ready (so im not going to say that to you haha) but your almost there and its sooo worth the wait. Look forward to hearing your BA!