Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Birthing pool and pain relief???

Can any one tell me if i can only have gas and air in the birthing pool??
Can i get out if i want to, will it be to late to have any other pain relief???
Due tomorrow but midwife still hasnt been in contact and i cant get in contact with her?

xxlisaxx

Replies

• Options
    That is a very good question, when i used to watch the baby programs (very sad i know), i used to see ppl using it in the birthing pools but i think it depends on the hospital rules & regulations. I would like a water birth too. Sorry i couldnt be off much help*
  • Options
    Hi there,

Yes i would love a water birth but there is only 1 pool at my hospital so not very likely to have one. Of what i can understand of using them you can use them up until you would like to get out and when your contractions get much stonger you can get out and have more pain relief. I think you can go in there for up to 5 cm dilated and then if you need more pain relief then you can get out onto your bed again. It may only be too late if you are more than 8 cm dilated and then i think it is too late for an epidural to kick in before the baby arrives.

Hope this helps and if im wrong sorry this is just my understanding of them. Good luck xxx
  • Options
    not nessecarily i was 7 cm in the birthing pool got out had pethedine and then an epidural but if you only want pool and entinox thats fine but anything else and you will have to get out...anita xx