Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Birth with pelvic pain?

Was just wondering if anyone suffered with pelvic pains and if this made labour difficult- eg finding comfy birthing positions?

Replies

• Options
    I had spd. It was difficult just walking in the end so finding a postion was near on impossible. I did however use the birthing pool once i got the hospital and it was great the first time i had had some comfort in a long time. Hope everything goes ok for you.
  • Options
    Hi,

I suffered with pelvic pains from 7months. When it came to labour though baby was back to back with me and nothing really helped bar an epidural I'm afraid. After 50 hours of labour - I was glad of some help!!!

Everyone is different though and initially the birthing ball helped me and my hubby rubbing my back.

Good luck

• Options
    Hi ya i was diagnosed with spd when i was 22 weeks (i think) was last yr!

I had a 3 day labour but that wasnt anythin to do with the spd. It did make it quite difficult as layin on my back was v painful but my legs were too weak to kneel.

Birthing pool definately helped but i was in there hours & ended up gettin out a few hours b4 i gave birth!

Try not to worry too much, i think unless you cannot openen your legs at all you have nothin to worry about.

Hope this helps!

xxx
  • Options
    I had pelvic pain and the birthing balls are amazing, they really loosen you up and seem to get rid of the pains entirely!

I have a bit of hip pain too. It isn't too bad but I can't lie on my back because it is too painful, so I'm hoping to try out different birth positions like squatting or in the pool etc xxxx

http://bd.lilypie.com/IzQX0/.png

• Options
    Hi,

I had my lo in October and had sciatica from 3 months and spd from 6 months. Saw a gynae physio and my osteopath reguarly and had to wear a huge (unattractive) brace to walk and a huge piece of tubigrip daily. Never mind! When I went into labour I used a tens machine once the contractions started (3.30am) and they were really intense after 30 mins so hubby rushed me to hospital - got there at 4.40am, was fully dilated and lo was born at 5.12am. I delivered her on gas and air kneeling and leaning over the back of the bed and it was great. Never felt the back pain as contractions and everything else took over.

After her birth all the pelvic pain I had experienced in pregnancy vanished and so did the sciatica. Very Odd.

Good luck ladies.
  • Options
    I had spd in my last pregnancy really bad, but tbh i didn't even notice it giving birth.
    good luck xx
  • Options
    I developed SPD right at the end of my preg and my LO turned back2back at 40 weeks. I delivered my LO knelt on the floor over a birthing ball, like mich said, I didn't notice the SPD once the contractions really kicked in.

There's some debate over whether epidural is good for SPD or not. If you can feel pelvic then you can move into a more comfy position but if you're numb then there's a small chance that you could do further ligament damage. Like everything, during preg & birth, its a personal decision and no one can tell you what's right or wrong.

Good luck xx
  • Options
    I'm really suffering from SPD - walking very difficult and v painful now. still got 7 weeks to go - been advised certain positions not advisable, but pool would be best.

To be honest, I'm worried that labour starts and I don't even realise cause I have aches and pains all over my bump every day, not just my pelvis and back - this being my 3rd, it will hopefully be quick anyway - lets hope so, but at the same time want to get to the hosp!
    Jac
    33+1
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies ladies, just needed a bit of reassurance! My mw isn't very sympathetic because I can still manage to walk okay (with a sexy support belt!), it's just being in bed that's agony when it comes to laying on my side or rolling over or getting up. Mw offered me no advice, when I said I was having to take painkillers she just started talking about how she took the same thing for her headaches! I've still got 6 weeks to go so hopefully it won't get any worse now.
    xxx
  • Options
    hi... I have had spd since I was in early stages of pregnancy... the physio and consultant have said it may be best to be on all fours for birth so you know that you dont spread your legs too far... ( not trying to sound rude or anything).... they said in labour you can forget about the pain of the spd and then it will affect you for longer after the birth x I had a mw that wasnt offering me any support as well and at 33 weeks I had enough and phoned the mw community support office and had her changed... maybe you could do this... I am certainly glad I did as my new mw is sooo lovely

all the best x x x
  • Options
    I can't offer an advice on positions as my SPD was so bad that I couldn't part legs and was on crutches so I had a c-sec. But I was told to avoid stirrups and to del on side with the mw or oh holding your leg up so you can push. As i never went into labour as had a planned sec I don't know how much contractions take over spd pain. Unfortunaltely for me as well my SPD is still present sometimes, it's been 5 months since my lo was born so not sure if it will go or if it will when. I was diagnosed with it in may last year when 18 weeks so its nearly been a year of sufferin with this pain. Good luck that you get they type of birth you want and don't suffer with too much pain.
    xx
  • Options
    Was just wondering if anyone suffered with pelvic pains and if this made labour difficult- eg finding comfy birthing positions?

i have pelvic pains will it affect me in labour;\)
  • Options
    Hi! I started suffering with spd at 34 wks and gave birth to my son 2 wks ago. Before the birth the spd was really painful, but I can quite honestly say that I didn't notice it when I was in labour. I must admit that I don't think I could have given birth laying on my back (because of my pelvis) so never tried that position. I gave birth turned the other way with my arms hanging over the headboard of the bed. The SPD disappeared almost immediately after the birth. It's lovely being able to turn over in bed without being in complete agony. Good Luck, Hope everything goes well for you. Love Rachel XXX
  • Options
    the physio told me when the spd goes varies from person to person.......
    some ladies it goes during labour others after birth.. some it takes a week or 2 others it can take months.... physio said some ladies can ahve it for up to 12 months after babya is born.....
    I havent suffered as much as what I used to when baby engaged... although I knw this isnt true in every case....
    the problem I get in bed si still the moving issue and also I now have a clicky pelivs... it can lock into a postioon and be painful until it clicks loudly then I can move again....
    i am hoping that my spd will go as soon as baby is here but expect to have it for a few months afterwards so i am ot too disapointed if it is still there... but I cant wait to be able to mvoe in bed without having to do it in 50 stages....lol...

good luck to you all and hope you wont suffer for too long x x x
  • Options
    LOL Tigerfeet, I also have to do the 50 point turn in bed!

xxx