Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Water Birth... what do you wear?

Hi, I'm 39 wks today, with my 1st baby.

I'm hoping that when the time comes, the birthing pool may be available for me to use. I'm hoping to labour in the water & possibly also deliver in there, all being well.

My question is... what do you wear in the birthing pool? At first I thought I could get in with a nightie on, then I thought that could be a bit in the way, wet & heavy... so then I thought I could wear my maternity tankini top and now I'm thinking some sort of crop/vest top might be better?

I'm hoping that some of you are also preparing for a water birth or have already been there, so can advise me on what's best!

Thanks, Anna x

Replies

• Options
    hi i have had 4 waterbirths and for the first i wore a night shirt but as you said it was heavy and uncomfortable so for the next 3 i wore a tankini top and that was fine. x
  • Options
    I was naked for my 1st waterbirth. And wore a bikini top for the 2nd
    xXx
  • Options
    I am hoping for a water birth and will be wearing just a crop vest thing or my bed bra. Mh boobs are really big and flip floppy so want them under control!

I will be bottomless though obviosuly! lol
  • Options
    Hiya hun,

I got a big tankini top from primark and just wore that x
  • Options
    I meant to wear my tankini but forgot them (doh) so went in in my bra & knickers. Obviously took my knickers off when the time came! Good luck, it was a brilliant experience for me x
  • Options
    i was going to wear my tankini top but just stripped off naked instead...and the feeling of complete freedom was fantastic!
  • Options
    i wonder what she wore! i was already wearing a vest i had been sleeping in and kept that on. i returned the tankini i had bought specially the following week (well, hubby did! i didnt leave the house for 2 weeks!)
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies.
    Well, I'm hoping baby decides to come within the next few days, otherwise I'm worried I won't have chance of a water birth... I'm booked for an induction on Wednesday (or do you think it may still be a possibility?).
    I've had some tummy aches & twinges since early this morning, but then it keeps on subsiding... maybe I should go for a run round the block or something, hahaimage
    Anna x
    41+3
  • Options
    I tried to have a waterbirth (was in the water for a good few hours but the water slowed my contractions and I ended up giving birht out the water) and was naked!! I never planned not to wear clothes for the birth but was so delirious (was a 3 day labour) that I just didn't care!! Also if you're naked in the water, its a lot easier for skin to skin contact when bubs is born
    xx