Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone been induced?

I'm going in the be induced in 27 days. I don't really know what they do to get the baby moving. If anyone has been induced or knows what happens please let me know. Also, if you have had a good/bad experience and what can be avoided to make it a better experience.

Thank you!!!!;) Karys xx

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev171pp___.png

Replies

• Options
    hi i was induced with my first at 10 days late by the gel (prostaglandin i think its called), they put it (inside!) and sometimes it comes in a tablet rather than a gel but its the same. they keep doing this every 6 hours i think it is until something starts happening. for me it took 2 tries and pains started. (when i was kept in overnight a few weeks ago another lady was having this done and she had been there 2 days getting it so it was taking longer for her). i think they do 3 or 4 tries before they try something else. for me i went in at 2pm and had it done and then again at teatime ( i got kept in for the whole time cause they have to monitor the baby throughout) and thats when i started having pains. my labour was classed as "established" at 9pm and i had her at 8am the next morning.

i dont know what its like to go into labour naturally but apparently induction makes the pains stronger faster (meaning it gets the job done quicker!), it is still bearable at first tho dont worry, just like bad cramps.

if my gel hadnt worked they were going to burst my waters the next day, but the gel worked. have they not said what they are going to do to induce you? i dont think thats very good, esp since you are just having to sit and worry.

for me it was a good experience (but i dont know whats the difference between that and natural labour),

a bonus is that you know when your baby will be born and have more time to plan, altho its prob making you sit and wait thru what will seem like a long 27 days.

but dont worry whatever method they use it will suit whatever is goin on down there at the time and it all ends in you seeing your beautiful baby, good luck, and i hope i havent got much longer to wait either!!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/1;19;29/st/20080523/dt/5/k/1ec5/preg.png

• Options
    hi. i have been induced with 3 out of 5 of my babies all due to high blood pressure.
    with my second child i had the pesseries and waters broke, this worked well. i had gas and pethidine. with my 3rd child i had my waters broke and the drip put up, which does make the contractions come alot quicker and can be more painful, but i had a very quick labour and it was over with in 30 minutes.i had gas and pethidine.
    with my 5th baby i had the pesseries and waters broke and had him in 2 half hours. i had just gas and air with him.
    try to remember everyone is different and you may find that inducement for you will be ok. good luck .xxx
  • Options
    Great advice thank you. I think my labour is going to be quite fast. As it was with my first. I laboured from the first twinge of contraction pain to Evie popping out took 11 hours which isn't too bad for a first baby.

I've also been taking my Rasberry leaf religiously to help with the labour. I hope they work!!
    http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev171pp___.png

• Options
    I was induced with the pessaries...You have to be monitored for 20 mins before they put them in, and after they are inserted then you are monitored again for an hour (have to lie down). After that you're free to walk around. If nothing happens then you're given a second set 6 hours later. For me the contractions started after the 1st set but I didn't properly start labour until 7am the next morning, so I had both the pessaries. They then broke my waters...I thought this would hurt but it was fine! Induction didn't work well for me and I ended up with a c section. But the woman who was induced the same time as me on the ward had her waters break the same night and had the baby straight away (I was very jealous!) xxx