Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

1st baby question

they say your first baby ur labour is longer at 12-14 hrs.... is this always the case?

My mum had 5 children, we all came out relatively quickly, no way that long.

Just a wondering.

Replies

• Options
    Not always, I just had my first baby and I was in labour for less than 8hours image
  • Options
    I don't think so. Mine was about 12 hours (although they think I may have been in very slow labour for a few days previously) But I know a few people who had very fast first labours - literally 2-3 hours! Equally I know people who were about 18 hours.

Every experience is so different.

• Options
    my first labour was only 3 1/2 hours so i don't think thats very true!!! i've had 3 kids and my longest labour so far has been 7 1/2 hours xxxx
  • Options
    Hi hun just to say there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason with labour. My friend's first came in 6 hours. My mum was in labour with my younger sister for 17, I was born by emergency c-section so not sure how long she was in labour then.
  • Options
    i think what you read i general as it all depends on your body so just relax and have a good PG and just take labour as it comes good luck

http://www.bump-and-beyond.com/37/3708/370809.png

• Options
    It's different for everyone although my midwife does believe that first babies generally take longer than subsequent babies.

My first labour was 13 1/2 hours from waters breaking to delivery. Active labour was about 8 hours.
  • Options
    my first labout was 5 hours 48 mins in total and my second was just over 6 hours x
  • Options
    if you work out labour from waters breaking to giving birth, my 3rd was my longest at just over 48 hours (wasn't in pain tho, just the last 7 1/2 hours), and my second was quickest at 1 min, if that, they literally broke my waters and he followed straight after xxxx
  • Options
    my 1 st was 6hrs 31 mins
  • Options
    my first i was only in established labour for 50 minutes so def not right for me!!!! x
  • Options
    Hi mine was 11 hours 39 mins total, (5 hours of that was spent at home). I had 39 mins of pushing x Hope the next one goes as smoothly!! xx
  • Options
    Hi
    Although my waters broke at 2am, from contractions starting to DS being born was 4.5 hours and this was my first. My mum also had really quick labours with all three of us. Quite a few march 2010 babies have been quick labours!!
  • Options
    my labour was 2hrs 45min from start to finish (25mins of that was pushing)
  • Options
    I had what felt like a fast first labour too. It was 12.5 hours from waters breaking (although they broke a bit more just before she arrived) to lo's arrival. But I went back to bed at the beginning and slept through the first five hours - so not sure if I should count that bit or not!